Sunday, December 05, 2010

It's a New World, Golde

Peter and I have decided to not get cable TV in our new home.  This is a radical departure from television habit,...a habit that grew into an almost medicinal addiction over the past several years, because we were so busy, so totally crunched by our daily commitments, the only way we seemed to be able to escape and unwind was to turn on the television and let it wash over us like audio/visual novocaine.  Not everyone handles stress this way, but, it turns out, that's how we handled it. So...we made this decision.

And so far, there has been a peacefulness, a quiet awareness pervading our new home. It's like going on a diet and staying away from junk food: it just feels better! There's more time to think, to actually talk to each other. And to enjoy the sheer passing of moment to moment time. A new world: time to listen and feel, observe and observe some more, all that is in each moment. Without the dizzying distraction of crime shows, car chases, people behaving heinously to each other in the most craven ways ( i loved those types of shows the most: where right almost always won out), there's heady new oxygen in our home: the pure breath of quiet.

Loving it.

AS we unpack books, with the quiet filling our home, i dive back into many of them, reminding myself of why we brought a particular one with us, discovering a new one i want to get into, savoring the feel of the paper on my fingers....each book's individual smell...the opening sentences that set the tone.  When I tore open the paper covering my four boxes of personal journals that I sent ahead to live here, I felt the energy come off those pages, and was stuck for a long while in memory.

Life is so filled with the silence of discovery, where all I hear are my thoughts.  A nice change from the Law and Order  opening theme.

Labels:


Comments:
Oh Evalyn. I love your blogs. And truly, there is not much of anything worth watching on cable anyway. A good book is a much better companion (other than Peter, of course). As I "read between the lines" of your blogs, I am happy for your move and wish we had been able to stay in touch while you were still here in Virginia. Life always is full of surprises and you never know the consequences of your being on Facebook to connect again. I am still wishing to be in SF in the spring. Will let you know if circumstances allow me to be away from my caretaking duties.
 
Ernie Kovacs said, "Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done." But for you to give up "Real Housewives of New Jersey?" Unbelievable!
 
Darling Bro- never did watch that one (although my description may sound like it)...please come here soon to see us? We've got great beer here!

And Joan- i can show you such wonders here...come in the Spring or anytime at all...

Will both of you please join as "followers" of my blog (not sure how you do that) so I can keep track of a thing or two, reader-wise?

Sending love fro here...xxev
 
Television is surely a contemplation-killer. And as I get older, I find what's on it is less and less relevant. I admire your going it cold turkey! But then again ... Michael Feinstein's American Songbook is on PBS tonight. the flesh is weak ...
 
Darling, weak-fleshed Rick: so much to catch up on is online, including (I bet) Feinstein's performances in all sorts of venues...also, we are watching a dazzling array of films that never saw the inside of theaters....(many for good reason)...AND Glee is on Hulu...so the turkey we are "going" is rather middle -of-the-road tepid, rather than cold...

Without the opium of TV, however, my mind is wakeful/ thoughtful at all odd hours, for various reasons...i can feel the withdrawal in so many ways....not all pleasant...however: onward!
xxev
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?