Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Deal With God: Getting the Piano to the Second Floor

Peter and I both seem to remember the baby grand fitting into the freight elevator at 890 West End, and that it was not much larger than the elevator at 1320 Lombard...but we could be wrong. If we are, then it's a mere two flights of windy stairs the poor moving men will have to climb with piano on aching shoulders to get it to our new home.  I pray we are not wrong about the elevator.  And in that prayer, I will make a deal with God:  please let our grand piano fit into the elevator, then through our doorways, then into the new living room, and I will.....um...let's see...i will meditate for 20 minutes every day , no matter what! And in that meditation, I will consider You in every breath, and be grateful.  I will also write for an hour every day, and in that writing, consider the mysteries of life as You present them. All in all, a good deal, so please grease the way for our grand piano. Thank you. (or I should say "Thank You") , love, Evalyn


Today will be an enormous and long day, but filled with joy by the end of it, if all goes well.

Today, at its end, will signify that we have indeed moved to San Francisco, because, if all goes well, i am NEVER moving that piano or packing boxes again, so whoever gets the apartment next, gets the piano with it!  If we decide to move to another house, or an apartment in the same building with a view of Golden Gate Bridge, we will buy another piano and leave his one nestled where it will land: in our lovely , light-filled new living room.

The truck is set to arrive between 8 and 9 am.

I have not slept a single wink all night long, and am running on sheer adrenaline fueled fumes of energy. I am so excited, that I have no doubt these fumes will get me through.

I will go to Real Food, around the block from Paul and Stephen's , where we are currently sleeping, and drink two cups of their organic and strong brewed coffee, eat a healthy bagel, order one for Peter, and wait for him to pick me up so we can begin our trek back to 1320 Lombard.  Our Ford Escape is parked in our garage there, and we walked back to Paul and Stephen's yesterday, taking the route up to Polk Street (one block up the hill from us) , then turning right all the way to Union Street, where we took another right onto Union and walked it all the way back to Pierce. It was one of the best walks of my life, and here's why:

Union Street - busy, creative, bustling, diverse and exciting Union Street -  reminded me that we are back in an urban environment I did not even know I was missing. Union Street, as we walked it those many blocks, presented us with interesting food and wine shops, specialty clothing boutiques, more doggie gift stores and grooming establishments than you can count, shoe stores with the latest styles, stationery and paper shops , each one like catnip to me, a MAC Cosmetics Shop, for cryin' out loud...i mean when was the last time I saw one of those??? Small delicatessens with prosaic as well as exotic goods, nail spas, hair salons, massage and wellness centers, workout workshops, with chic spandex outfits in their windows, Pilates centers galore, nutrition and heath food shops, more facial and hair shops  than I could count, adorable children's clothing and gift stores (lots of young families with kids in this Pacific Heights/Russian Hill neighborhood - lots of families and LOTS of dogs!...SF is a DOGGIE town, if there ever was one!)  Union Street, just beginning to be decked out for the Holidays, will be tremendous fun to shop, and I will buy a wreathe for our new front door, from a shop on Union Street! As well as small gifts for the parties we are already invited to!  I mean: Union Street is without question, my kind of street, Coffee roaster places, with the best coffees in the world right there for us at any time, and there is even a swell store that sells nothing but whimsical, ingenious, made-of-all-sorts-of-materials FAIRIES!  Flying from the ceiling, stuffed on glass shelves, coming at  you from the walls..fairies and elves and goblins, other mythical,mystical creatures....perfect, right?

Because this is, after all, SAN FRANCISCO: the most magical of cities...and I have a feeling these sorts of astonishing creatures lurk around us, at every turn. I am ready - truly ready - to discover them!

Labels:


Comments:
I am truly enjoying reading about your travels across the country both here and on Facebook, Ev. A very cool adventure in and of itself. Glad that Peter is okay after the scare in Arizona! And I await the news that the piano is in the apartment and ready to be played.
 
Thanks so much for your feedback and best wishes for Peter..he is fine! ANd seems to have regained all his strength, which is good , for we need it all to unpack all these boxes! By the way, do I know you?
If not, how did you happen on my blog?

Again thanks for taking the time to comment.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?