Monday, August 10, 2009

I'll Cross The Blue Mountain...

When I was a kid, about 15 or so, my Daddy (though I called him Poppa...it's this place I am in right now that inspired the "Daddy") bought me my first guitar: a Martin 000-28 New Yorker out of the back of a station wagon in Atlanta Georgia...I was on break from a play I was rehearsing at Georgia Tech and Daddy brought the guitar guy over to my rehearsal, knowing i'd want to pick my own ....i had learned to play on a really awful old guitar my brother had bought for practically no money some months before...i learned by listening to Joan Baez's early record albums,..i would just sit and listen for hours and practice what I heard,  emulating how she sounded singing, the simple chords she used on her first recorded songs ("Dona, Dona, Dona", "Shoes Of Spanish Leather",etc). ..and before I knew it , I was playing all around Atlanta, singing up a storm and becoming part of the Atlanta Folk Music Society "scene"..I teamed up with a wonderful guitarist and banjo player and singer with a deep voice named Jeaneane Briles and we were soon the "duo" around town...I sang high and she sang low, and we had a great time...this memory came floating down onto my brain as I sit here on the back deck of the cottage we are renting here in the Blue Ridge Mountains , outside Gatlingburg, TN...Peter and I are on a small break from the theatre, and after this intense and busy and successful summer, I'd say we earned this week of vacation...SHOWTIME AT FIRST BAPTiST closed on Saturday (two days ago) and the rest of the Summer Rep a day or so later....boom! Summer DONE! The entire acting company is on a vacation this week......

Paul and Stephen rented this house for us, sight unseen, and it turns out to be perfect: cool, clean, modern, three bedrooms, a back deck with a lovely hot tub and a small grill...and a view of the Boue Ridges that makes me smile ...quite gorgeous, I must say. Peter and i polished off a full bottle of cold champagne when we got here yesterday, and soaked in the hot tub...and fell exhaustedly into each others arms....slept well in the nice King Sized bed...

More soon...

xxev

Labels:


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?