Saturday, May 16, 2009

Come Saturday Morning...

"...I'm goin' away with my friends..."...that plaintive old song from a movie that starred a not-yet-tired Liza Minelli...something with 'Cuckoo" in the title...not "One Flew Over..."...not "Time of the..."...Anyway, one of the very best things about our time here right now: Saturday mornings...because both peter and I chose not to be a part of the full-time acting company on our return here (the actors - either extremely fortunate or dismally over-worked, depending on how you look at it, and what stage you are at in your acting career)..the actors here work all the time. One day off a week, and the rest either on stage or in one of our several rehearsal halls...the work never stops, as in a year, some 19 or so shows are produced for the paying public...so this audience (large for some shows, smaller for others) requires product, and our actors are the product! So, they have one day off a week to get all life things done in, and that day is often spent memorizing lines...truly , for the motivated and interested actor, there is no better artistic life than the one for actors here.

That being said, as I am in a different place now in my life, a place where I want more time to experience life itself, not a life backstage and in dressing rooms getting ready to go on stage, it is best for me and for Peter as well tht we not be members of this wonderful acting company, but rather have the jobs we do have in the Administrative side of things, with an occasional visit to the artistic side of things....(I'm in rehearsal now f or one of our summer shows, and I am enjoying it very much...audiences will love this one...).

So, Peter and I have had some actual married couple time with each other and it's been so nice...having leisurely dinners together at nice restaurants around the area, going to movies where we can be entertained instead of entertaining others...(last night we saw the fast-paced ANGELS AND DEMONS, with a delicious sushi dinner beforehand) andLife take son a different shape when there is more time to call one's own.

I do not begrudge all the years I spent in pursuit of my acting career...how could I? Those years gave me everything , made me everything I am today, and i was fortunate to have such good times. But now, there are oceans to explore, either real or figurative...and time to wander through...I want this time, and I want it with Peter. And RR has been gracious enough to give us both that time. I am filled with gratitude for that.

Now, I have come to look forward to my Saturday mornings, after a full week either in my office or in rehearsal and my office...now, Saturdays mean more to me than 2-performances and an unsatisfying dinner break...Now, come Saturday mornings, I can go away with my friends, if I want to...so far, being close to home and having the every-so-often luxurious pedicure at "the Martha" is all my Saturday mornings can bear! ANd I am off to have one now.

I just needed to rhapsodize about Saturday mornings a little before going to have my toes done! (where I will, what else? STUDY LINES for this little play I am in, as part-time member of this very nice acting company.)

Love to all and to all a good Saturday!

Comments:
Many women of some certain age are concerned with having their nose done but I am proud proud of you, Sister because you are having your toes done and it even rhymes.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?