Friday, August 08, 2008

OMG! MID-AUGUST????

Where did it all go? Time? Summer? Leisure? Ouch!

The Virginia Highlands Festival is almost over, and I've yet to buy one single item!!! What's wrong with this picture???? Surely, Buddhism cannot be influencing me THAT much, with its notions of the physical world being so transitory that it hardly pays to give it meaning...more like: I packed far too much in order to get down here again, and the thought of buying one more item that I may have to pack again one day is too much for my exhausted spirit to contemplate! So: except for the obligatory kettle corn (still somehow better bought at this Festival than anywhere else), I've bought not a thing!

Sadly for me, many of the booths are the exact same ones that were here when we left several years ago, (I've bought all I can buy from them in years past) and the new ones are selling really expensive stuff, which is another way the Festival has changed: it is now for people with money! God Bless'em...if people can afford this artistic stuff, by all means let them have it to buy...I cannot...so, my pennies are going into the bank instead! The truly festive air the Festival brings Abingdon is wonderful! Long may it wave!

The Festival plays we 've been reading during this time have brought our really smart community together for several afternoons of readings and it is terrific to hear people talk so smartly and knowledgeably about what they are seeing...it also gives us all a chance to talk to each other in ways we don't usually have time to indulge in, and I have most particularly enjoyed talking with the J's...the lovely writer RW...(who encouraged me to continue blogging, as he has enjoyed reading it over the years...) A A (a terrific local poetess), and several others who I never get a chance to see or talk to...

I am glad for these smart smart people in this community!

I am tired. Peter's folks are here with their friends from Africa, and it is nice...today is their 40th wedding anniversary and we will celebrate as a family on Sunday at a large brunch! Again, nice.

This weariness will someday have to be reckoned with. Life is meant to feel better than this...and I yearn for the ocean to heal me....please, Ocean, be there when I need you one day! I yearn to smell your salt, and let your endless horizons float me like a feather to a far away place ....I know there is really no place to go , and that what I imagine is far better than what is, anywhere, but at least horizons allow you to imagine expansively into dreaming...beyond the horizon anything is possble...horizons hold nothing back, but only invite...i need to RSVP soon..

Comments:
This weltschmerz, this world-weariness...it's a sign, Evalyn (Ooooooh!)

It's a sign that you should go out and buy something utterly frivolous like a Lamborghini. Yes, that's it. It's your conscience telling you to purchase an expensive Italian sports car.

Then give it to your brother in Houston! Love...RLB.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?