Saturday, August 25, 2007

Hot and Humid as Hell Here Today....

.....BUT, so what? Here's a poem for you all to read:


Little Girl Outside the Window

A beautiful small face,
Wide, bright, delicate,
Floated like a balloon just now,
Past my early evening window.
I believe she was walking on air,
Tiny tennis shows dangling
A few inches off the sidewalk.
Only the father’s hand, warmly
Holding, kept her from
Floating dangerously
Away.

I remember, I was sitting in a coffee house downtown on Christopher Street in the Village one Fall evening, and , in the waning light,a little child did indeed pass by....she was so beautiful, I had to write...I was in an extremely fertile poetry period then (about a decade ago) and the words flowed easily.

These days, as I am busily involved in gathering all the poems I have done, and as I re-open my heart to poetry, reading volumes that have been gathering dust on my shelves for years and loving every word I read....as i discover all the newest poetry sites online (and there is so much good poetry there...so many wonderful writers whose experiences i am enjoying)...as I get back into the understanding of poetry as a way into my own life at this point, I am grateful for the sheer time to do so....as well as the space that i have been able to create within myself to let a poetic mind return.....Meditation has had no small part in this, of course. But words are not flowing yet. I am jotting down topics that come to me...potential poems...but no languge is coming for them yet. It will. It always does.

This is the first weekend in a while that Peter and I have allowed ourselves to stay in town....we've been going up to the House, and loving it...and it feels nice to be here in the Summer-slow hot hot Upper West Side....everyone else seems to have gone somewhere, so it is relatively empty...this makes it more bearable. And I notice that Columbia students are beginning to return...the area up around 110-116th Streets is beginning to look young again.And I hear snatches of conversation about this class or that....this professor said this, and what do you think about the price of text books for that class,etc.....ah! Education! College and the road that lies ahead....the idea that knowledge is a key to some magical door......it's not quite the time of crisp-apple days and freshly purchased paper products, but it's not far away now....and soon, we'll be able to hear the sound of young minds cracking open after silly slow summers of sun-soaked sloth.....yikes....small bursts of poetic sibilance , anyone?

Watch out! The doors of Poetry may burst open at any time!!!!
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?