Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Little Boy's Face

The face of Cho Seung-Hui...the man who killed 33 people yesterday...33 people! Imagine his karma...the face of a boy. When I look at him, I see the baby he once was.

A post I wrote, equating the VT killings with all killings, especially war-time massacres...it received a comment from someone who knew VT people and was upset that I equated the two sorts of killings....that my saying war-time killing (soldier to soldier) was, essentially, the same as the murders yesterday, somehow trivialized yesterday's tragedy...this of course was far from my intention. I intended in fact to do quite the opposite: by equating yesterday's true shocking horror to the everyday murders in Iraq, I was hoping to make people see how truly horrifying all killing is, and that happens every day: killing, murder, the death of someone's child...my commenter (to whom I apologize for offending in any way) said we are not at all prepared for the shock of innocent murder of college kids...well, sadly, we are too too prepared for the murders we are committing in any country we choose to overwhelm .....we forget that they are innocent children too, or at least once were....and that despite our views, and how they may conflict, none are worth the taking of a human life. That is how I feel. Please know: I want the world to wake up and stop committing violence...if the senseless deaths of these VT students and teachers is to mean anything, let it teach us that no killing of another human being is good, no matter how good the reason someone may have for doing it. And that we must weep for them too, no matter how far away they are from us and our every day life. But first, we must weep for our own.

Comments:
Ev,

I agree with you. In fact. Yours is the same point I made to a friend the other day. 33 were killed at VT one day, 105 were killed in a bombing in Iraq the next. What makes the 105 less worthy of the attention that the 33? Neither are less tragic and all are senseless, regardless the circumstances. Thank you, dear Ev, for articulating my feelings so eloquently.

Connie
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?