Thursday, March 15, 2007

Carmel and It's Coffee Mornings...

...are clearly part of a local ritual: I am observing it from my rented computer corner here at the Carmel Coffee Company Shop on Main Street...it was quiet until a noisy bunch of hyped-up locals came in and began various business meetings...ah well...every creature has its noises, as I have learned from the sea creatures I have been joyously observing...people here by the sea must crave noise, the way noise-saturated New Yorkers crave quiet times by the sea....and who the hell cares: it's still another gorgeous sunny California Coastal day and even though it is our last here,and we drive back to San Francisco tomorrow, my lifehas been permanently changed from these few days in the presence of the beauty I have experienced...each sea otter and gauzy horizon has become part of my life and I will remember....even if I have to put a pretty postcard in my day book to remind me!

Last night, after yet another wonderful gourmet veggie meal from the stove of Steve, I actually used some of the Lemon Grass Sea Salt scrub on Paul's feet and arms...he reacted in the same sensually ecstatic way i did when Renee scrubbed my various body parts yesterday...that stuff is really good! And I bought it for the express purpose of scrubbing Peter's back when I get home...he will adore it...and I will lvoe sharing it with him...Then, after my mini-spa treatment of Paul;s feet and arms, we snuggled down with Steve to listen more of Jack Kornfield's talks and I fell asleep to his soothing tones....I slept well through the night, once I managed to get to my heavenly bed, and I can only assume that my time on the tables at the day spa relaxed me in a deeper way than I had thought...it felt good, so good, to sleep deeply and uninterruptedly.

I recieved a wonderful email from Ann J. ikn Abiongdon responding brilliantly to my blog entry of yesterday...she is astonishing in her appreciation of what I live, and I feel the same about her lovely dear life in Abingdon...she is (Ann, you are) an alive and thrilling woman, with tastes so beautiful and thoughts so imaginative, I can only say: thanks for sharing them with me....I so miss seeing you..and so appreciate your mails to me...I feel that if you and I had lived in another day and time, we would have penned marvelous ornate yet useful correspondences to each other and our collection of letters would have been worth publishing!

I'm looking around at the beautiful glossily mounted photos of varuous swa scapes on the walls around me, and I feel a rush of gratitude that no matter how gifted the photographer, there are simply some things in life and nature too stunningly beautiful to capture in even the most skillful photo...what I experience when by the actual shore of those waters (as I was yesterday and the day before and the day before that), is imcomparable to any possible photograph of same. No matter how stunning the angle or the film used, the live thing is...well..alive.

There is a noisily happy family next to me: an elderly Jewish gent and his three grown kids who are "hocking" him about his diet and how to make it healthier...they are adorable...and each one knows best of course...the daughter especially, I so identify with, adn she is talking about how she prepares chicken to make it a fat-freer meal...the brothers are nodding in agreement...she is the "mouth" ,,,I like her. They are lucky to have their Dad to yell at in this loving and gentle way.

I love this place. The sun shines so brightly out there and I am becoming surer and surer that I will never leave Carmel...I wonder what I could do here to make a living...hmmmm....oh well...if only one could get paid to sit by the Ocean and be happy. (And in some odd way, one is paid in a deep way, right?)

Today, while the guys are asleep still, I want to explore the side streets of Carmel and see what shops there are and what galleries...there is so much art here..so much high-priced and often wonderful art...but it's the shops I want to see...and maybe spend some money in...I have high hopes that I will find a thing or two worth buying...treats...at least I have matured enough from yoiunger days to not need to buy everything in sight...but I still have an appetite and hope to fill it a little today ,....while the guys sleep....so, before they waken, perhaps I had better get on with that...more soon. Tata!

Labels:


Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?