Thursday, March 08, 2007

California: Here I Come (Again)

Well...indeed..in two days, I will be flying out to California for business and to meet Paul and Steve..they will whisk me away to Carmel for a few sunny days by the Pacific and catch-up on life....I shall sleep and shop and sleep some more...and there will be talk...lots and lots of good friendship talk, as we solve what may confront us all next....in the life of our 21st Century Family....a new wrinkle has been added to the fabric:

Paul and Steve found a San Francisco apartment on Pierce Street, on the edge of Pacific Heights, and they loved it at first sight and so have rented it for at least a year...they love their new Landlords, and feel somehow that this is the next right move for us all...now we have a home base in that glorious city if we all so choose it to be...it has a fireplace and two bedrooms and it overlooks the Bay, and is in what they both ecstatically describe as the perfect neighborhood, near everything fun, and within walking distance of lots of streets and shops and things that matter to them. Every phone call from them, since they signed the lease, has been happy and almost floating with a sort of joy I have not heard from either of them in a long while....the last time I heard tht happiness in their voices, it was also when they were in San Francisco, discovering the headlands and other glorious walking paths....One of the reasons Steve threw Paul's 60th Birthday Bash out there was because he wanted all of us to fall in love with San Francisco as they have, and I do believe we did just that. Peter wants to move as fast as we can....he is extremely tired of the constant obstacles that NYC presents, the crowds and the dirt and noise....and he felt a spiritual tie to SF when we were out there....I thought it was a very gorgeous place. Mild and negotiable...certainly easier to endure than this vast, anonymous, grey City we currently call home. My experience of NYC is that it becomes, day by day, more conscious of its wealth, and less caring of its poverty . This disturbs me more than it ever has before.

So, who knows what will happen?

To say that I am looking forward to my week out West (which is not a very long time at all), is an understatement: I can hardly wait to get there. And, even though I must board a dreaded airplane (I am not a fan of aviation), I know the journey will be short and my rewards at the end of it great.....I want to see my two friends. I want to laugh with them.

And I will be back in class on the 19th! Working hard as ever, though, the students , typically, will be slow to get wound up again, as well they should be...I want them to genuinely relax over the Break, and those of them not cast in shows should be able to do so. Paul joked with me on the phone last night that I had better pack extra clothing because I will fall in love with it all so deeply out there I will cancel my return flight....and stay there with them. I wonder. As it happens, those two will be returning here with me. That is as they had planned. But now, with the acquisition of a new place out there, their trips back out there will be more frequent, as, I imagine, ours will be as well. San Francisco...hmmmm.

Life is such a funny thing...isn't it?

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?