Tuesday, January 09, 2007

My Barter Rhapsody

.....in honor of its 75th Anniversary in 2008...and since the photo book they are working on needs my input soon, (I've been asked to send along fond remembrances, points of view, stories), I shall let this blog entry be the start of what i'll send...then, Jayne D. can choose what she wishes to choose to use or not.....

To understand my love for Barter Theatre, a love that transcends an actress' normal caring for a theater that gives her creative employment, it's important to understand my point of view about the art and institution of theater in general: I hold the view that "Theater" (with a capital "T") is essential to the health of a community, vital for the growth and conscience of any civilized society, and I hold that view passionately.

From the first time a person ever had an adventure and had to tell someone else about it ("hey, honey", the cavewoman said, "the kids were so cute today: one of them invented this funny round thing that makes my work so much easier...we decided to call it "wheel"!"...from the first time a person wanted to vicariously engage another in an experience, Theater was born and continued to live through the ages....it seeped into the souls of every civilization known to mankind, (and no doubt into many unknown as well)...anytime or anywhere there were people, rites that can only be called theatrical creatively sprung to life to serve the Community in various ways...man is infinitely inventive, so he even managed to create a connection between Theatre and the Divine in innumerable societies as well...I for one understand that, since another passionately held belief of mine is that Theater is a servant to all that is spiritual in man....to know oneself to be a person of the theater is like being "called" to do so. It is a "Calling". No doubt about it.

And every moment I spent at Barter (over a span of some 10 or 11 years, I spent 4 or 5 in beautiful Abingdon), felt like Destiny. It felt like it had a purpose. It felt like something important. Important for the Community in which we served, and important to us, of course, as well.

And, since I have to get down to NYU soon, I shall stop at this point and put some clothes on.
More soon.

Labels:


Comments:
i should be so lucky to find a place such as the Barter in my life one day! hugs and kisses, phyllis
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?