Friday, January 12, 2007

More, There's Always More....

....which is a reference to a lyric in the fabulous Bill Finn song "Holding To The Ground" from FALSETTOS....this morning, it has to do with all I have to say about Barter Theatre...BUT, it brings to mind the most wonderful time I had last week in the Steinhardt Studio of the wonderful teacher Dianna Heldman, who is, not only a superb and popular teacher, but Head of the Voice Program at Steinhardt...in her charge are both Classical and Music Theater track students, and I have rarely seen a teacher take more sincere interest in students than Dianna does in hers... her intuition alone is a tremendously valuable asset in a person in charge of the delicate training and processes of young performing artists...I like her very much, and value her as both a colleague and new friend. ANYWAY: since I've decided to take voice lessons from certain teachers in the Department, in order to gain a better understanding of what my students hear when they are in a voice lesson, Dianna willingly offered to teach me last week in her 9th Floor studio down on W.4th Street...James Cunningham (my valuable pianist from my classes, and also a new friend) was there to play repertoire for me, but the main bulk of the time spent was on sheer technique, and I learned so much....Dianna is a terrific teacher...and I feel confident that the care she and her colleagues take with those young voices is enough to establish them solidly and usefully in a long performing career....no pushing, no shoving of the voice into anything it is not healthy and ready for...but rather the gentle unfolding of the instrument as it is, allowing it time to grow as it will.....a deeply admirable and smart approach, especially in a business where there is so much forcing and pushing and shoving....again, at Steinhardt, it is all about process and patience.

...I was so lucky because, not only did I have the inestimable Dianna to teach me, but Michael Ricciardone,another master teacher in the Program, stopped by (we are all becoming such good friendly colleagues, and Dianna and Michael have developed a long friendhsip), and they were both coaching me at one point and I felt like an expensive car being taken care of by 2 Master Mechanics! When I began to sing "Holding To The Ground", we were all able to engage in such a creative conversation about emotion, its place in vocal production, how it overtakes a student (and me) and forces the voice to a pressured place, and how not to let that happen, but rather, how to keep the technique in place and get the fullest most expressive sound possible, riding the waves of deep emotion rather than drowning in it....an amazing understanding....It never fails to amaze me how much there is to learn!! And for that I am continuously grateful.

Speaking of gratitude: Janet M....thank you so much for your lovely continuing emails in response to my blog...I am deeply glad you enjoy reading it...and that your love for Barter Theatre has not waned...you are so right in your assessment that Barter is a unique and truly special place....As you read, beign with Rick and Amanda again was nearly painful it felt so good to see them....I guess we all need that place we yearn to be, and Barter is mine. Who knows, maybe one day again...meanwhile, I shall live in my memory and write about it all I can...

Labels:


Comments:
Evalyn, I always find your blog so motivating and inspiring, but imagine my delight is reading today's. I studied with Dianna at NYU and "Holding to the Ground" was a real break-through song for me at New School this summer. The great big circle of life (and theatre) continues!
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?