Saturday, November 11, 2006

A Date With James

...Cunningham, the talented and smart man who plays piano and helps me coach the students in the Song Analysis class each Tuesday and Thursday afternoon...we went to see Steinhardt's THE BOY FRIEND together last night and we had such a good time that we have another date to go see the New Student Cabaret together next Friday! This is all good, since not only does it give me time to spend with this person i enjoy, but Peter is so busy at his new job, he has not time for such outings right now and I get to have adventures with a friend! And the great thing about being with James is that we talk so deeply and well about the things we see in each class,
in each student, and he knows so much more than I do about the delicacies of the voice and music as written, that I am able to learn from him, as he says he learns from me in different ways, so the conversation is never dull...in fact, it's stimulating in a way I appreciate. Plus which, he has a wicked humor, and i do enjoy that. We laugh at the world in the same way.

We enjoyed our BOY FRIEND adventure last night. The production was energetic and I love seeing the Steinhardt kids dancing. It was at the famed old Provincetown Playhouse, which is now owned by NYU, and as I sat there, I wondered if the ghosts of Eugene O'Neill and his infamous cohorts were enjoying the bright young energies that were filling the space they had done such classic work in decades ago. I can never walk into the Provincetown without feeling a mild reverence toward what went on there way before any of us were born! The leaps forward in the American theater that took place there...the sheer daring of the new writing O'Neill and his pals represented...the shift in the world of arts and letters represented by the odd and gifted souls who made up that group of uncomfortable and brilliant writers, actors and musicians. The intrigues and courage.

When I taught a few classes in that space recently, I made sure the class heard the history of the place. It's important that they know where they come from.

Today, Peter is at work all day at a day of recruiting interviews for Inductis and that leaves me with time and space to get some cleaning done around here. YAY! The Red Dining Room is stellar and our new ceiling fictures are on their way from Home Depot. Soon, things shall be in their places and we can begin to actually plan and cook for our lustrous Turkey Day Dinner! I keep watching the Food Channel to get ideas, amd they are so much fun to watch, those food personalities...they make it all look so fun and easy and festive...I find that I appreciate the foods I eat more, lately, because of watching them work at preparing various dishes. And I do want this Thanksgiving to be a good and tasty one for all. We have a nice mix of friends coming so far. And more yet to answer our E-Vite.

Well, I had better get to work on this place of ours....I will crown all my efforts off today with the purchase of a couple bright new colorful chrysanthemum plants to put outside our door! Deep orange or burnt rust colors for Fall! (Though the climate is like a late Spring day today...are we ruining the planet?) I shall pretend it is chilly!

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?