Tuesday, November 14, 2006

.....And Its New Light Fixture!

So, determined to get this job done, there we were, my insanely wonderful spouse and me, in the dark (Peter likes to turn of the circuit before messing with electrics...and who can blame him?), with me holding two flashlights on the specific work areas, installig the new ceiling fixture in the dining room. We chose the parchment colored glass lamp, with black and gold iron curlicues entwining it...and it is gorgeous! We will put the erstwhile stained glass lamp in the Hallway tonight. Because the parchment and balck and gold is so right for the new Dining Room!

And worth all our sweaty, late-night efforts to install. Peter was so diligent and patient, as he ached his way through the task...he had just come home from aorusing game of his regular Monday Night Basketball with the guys, but since he had promised we would do ths lighting thing, he was determined to keep his word and so he did. And I am grateful because it is simply one less thing to worry about as we head into prep for the large (and I do mean large) Turkey Day gathering we are hosting! So far, the official count is 19, and we expect more! Where we are going to put everyone is a bit of a mystery at the moment, but I have no doubt we shall work it out because no matter what, it will be fun! Steve and Paul will be back from San Francisco the Tuesday before and shall bring over the extra chairs and tables we need, and once we get a floorplan, I can think about how to decorate and make it all look nice and festive.

I was a fan of the plan that suggested we only invite as many as we could seat, but, Peter being more generous of spirit than I, we are happily sticking to his plan instead: anyone who wants to can come! It shall be a loving and civilized horde! My only hope is that they are comfortable and enjoy themseslves. And that the food taste good.

So, I have been watching the Food Channel for days now picking up recipes to make. For food as well as for drinks, since it might be fun to serve some festive holiday cocktail of some sort. And the Food Channel is so filled with terrific ideas, and personality chefs who make it all look so easy, it has been fun being inspired by them. Many different approaches, budgets, styles and scales of entertaining, with specific shows devoted to each and every approach you may want to take. With recipes ranging from the very easy to the more difficult and gourmet. I will use several ideas i have picked up, including one for a pre-dinner cocktail that looks pretty and probably tastes innocent, but is no doubt potent! And since it looks very orange, it seems ideal for Thanksgiving! I shall make an alcoholic and a non- version of that drink, and make the glasses look pretty with orange slices and sugar. It sparkles. At least it did on TV...I wonder if I can make it do that...hmmm... the thing about the Food Channel is that it is so much fun to watch it makes you think you can do anything! I tried a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts the other night and it was wonderful! I intend to use it for TDay as well.

Meanwhile, Letitia is here today helping me clear out the kitchen and organize it for the cooking ahead. Once I leave here today, i won't be home until late, as it is my 46-10 Village night, (we are deep into reading BRIGHTON BEACH MEMOIRS), so I am trying to get stuff done while I can. I am so yearning to be at home more these days. This is so odd. But nice.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?