Thursday, October 19, 2006

This Love Affair

....as it does....another day...another chance to be inspired and inspire...lunch with two valued colleagues down at NYU then my Song Analysis Class...which is so hardworking and talented...the more I teach, the more my own younger passions are recalled those days when it actually mattered to me that the craft of acting have integrity and fullness of life...those days when running off with The Living Theater seemd a truly terrific idea..those days when it all mattered so much that living each day was exhausting in its demands...and most of the demands were in service of protecting myself from so many imagined terrors...if there is one thing about youth I do not miss, it is the necessary passage through those oh-so-real-seeming Forests of Doom...but because I went through them and came out the other side into the relative sunshine , I am thus able to help my students through them as well, and for that I am grateful. It enables me to not minimize their experiences, but rather to give them full measure of importance and thereby, hopefully, helping these journeys through the Forest be as growth-producing as possible.

I am so deeply in love with my students. I can only imagine parenthood is what i feel, but an infinite amount magnified....i do not presume to know what a parent feels...but I do know that when I see them struggle and grow, and even struggle and fail, (which is only delayed growth), I love them even more. It takes courage to live, and, in my book, it takes double that courage to profess wanting to be an artist. It is a darng and life-affirming profession.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?