Friday, October 20, 2006

I AM A CONVERT!!!!!!

That is to say, I am now the proud owner and user of a new MAC desk top computer, and, just as Peter said it would, it has thrilled me to learn how to use it. It is easier, faster, funner and more versatile than any computer I have had before it, and I am so delighted with it I can hardly drag myself away to go teach class!! But, drag I must...so this will be a short entry, I fear.

Just had late breakfast with Paul and Steve...the grey skies seem to be getting everyone down, though the air is cool and fresh because of the rain, so I am not minding the grey as much as i usually do. The guys have just finished entertaining a housfull of beloved guests, so they are not doubt tired and need some rest. And as ever, I adored being with them, but I hate seeing my friends who I love so dearly feeling "down".....such, however, is life. And don't we all know that?

The weekend promises to be a cozy one, and we go to our first BlueHill Troupe function as a couple. Peter is glad to be part of the Troupe and feels good about being of some help in the tech areas and we both look forward to seeing our first production there: HOW TO SUCCEED....the thing we both love about the Blue Hill efforts is that the money goes to a charity of their choice. And they always seem to be able to raise a substantial amount for some very good causes. Anything our dear pal Jacky Yang is part of has to be worthy. A wonderful woman. When I brought her onto the CAP 21 Board a decade ago, I had no idea we would become such enduring friends, and I am so glad to have.

Great meeting with Bill Wesbrooks and John Simpkins downtown at Steinhardt yesterday. Such terrifically collaborative men, and the conversation about Song Analysis left us all stimulated and ready to move foreard with the work. Each of us is making discoveries in our individual classes that we truly want to share with the others, and these meetings are great for that. Once again, I find the Steinhardt process, as exemplified by Bill W. to be one in which I find respect and growth for all involved. No ultimatums, no threats, no censure...just good plain sharing and collaborating. Argument, yes...but healthy and respectful...disagreement , of course....but encouraged and listened to...not like other places I have experienced. I prefer it this way, of course. Who wouldn't?

We got the sweetest email from Amanda Aldridge down at Barter. I miss her so much. And the fun of wearing her clothes designed for each role I played there...she is so gifted. And became such a dear important friend to me. I miss that too. But, oddly, I do not miss performing. Strange, isn't it? After all these years of doing it...I simply am enjoying my evenings at home. And would prefer to be home with Peter than backstage anywhere. How long will this last? I don't know...but it feels right for now.

I do go to work next week on the rewrites for MY FAVORITE YEAR, because Lynn Ahrens called personally to help them out, in the role of "Belle", Benjy's Momma, played at Lincoln Center by Lainie Kazan...a sweet role. I'll start working with the Musical Director next Tueday, and must cram some listening in over the weekend...though I do have the CD, it is not a show I am familiar with yet, and there is scant time to learn it, for the readings we must do of it by the end of this month and the beginning of next......I will be most curious to see how they re-shape it. Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty are probably my two favorite American Musical theater writers, along with Adam Guettel, of course, so i respect their work, and am glad to help out. Honored in fact. I am simply glad, as I feel so often lately, that it is not a long committment!

After all, I have a new computer to come home to now, as well as the best husband in the world, who is actually helping me learn how to use it!!!! Bless him and his patience!

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?