Monday, October 23, 2006

Bobst Library- NYU

...is one impressive structure, filled with graceful space and floor after floor of knowledge...a gracious, inviting place for NYU students to come and sit and read and learn...i like it here, and have found it to be a most congenial spot for hanging out between my classes. There is ample room for me to be comfortable in, read anything i want , find a free computer and blog or do anything else I need to do, and generally relax. The modern architecture is so airily beautiful, it feels good just to walk in to the building itself. And it is located midway between all the places I need to be on this campus, so it is convenient. A good rest stop. And since this afternoon I have to do one more sub-eaching class for Evan Mueller, I have a few hours to kill and being here at Bobst is ideal. I can fritter away the time creatively. And comfortably. Thank you to the Bobst family for providing such shelter. NYU is so well endowed.

Uneventful weekend. Except for lots of good sleep and cuddling. Peter really caught up on much-needed slumber.A few of the things we wanted to get done got done, but there is much still left to do to prep for his parents' arrival. And this week is busy, even without that.

WHY DO I FEEL LIKE GOING RIGHT BACK TO SEA RANCH AGAIN RIGHT NOW???

The pace of my life is anything but overwhelming...in fact, with all I am doing , teaching and reading and meditating, it really is an ideal balance of activity in my daily life. And, thank God, all is well. Then, why do I want to go away to the Ocean right now? I am filled with a sort of gray-sky, chill in the air, vague discomfort. And whereas mugs of fresh hot cider and other Fall goodies generally cheer me up, I feel something else is afoot here...and I cannot seem to specify what it is. A vague malaise. The sort of thing I usually have gotten rid of by shopping too much, or working too hard...but now, neither of these things matter to me as much as they used to, so I am left with feeling..and meditating does help, but in a way, meditating is also making me more sensitive to it, whatever it is. So, I sit and i look at it from as many points of view as I can. Meditating gives me that chance. It also helps me become incredibly conscious of so many levels in my thinking, as I dive deeper and deeper. It becomes quite entertaining sometimes, actually.
Until a place of joy and calm is inevitably found and I sigh with a releasing sort of relief.

And when i look at all the learning that men and women have put into books here in this enormous library, when i realize how much time people have spent learning about the world we live in and discovering new things every moment, I am stunned into appreciation. And awe. THERE IS SO MUCH. And, generally, WE ALL KNOW SO LITTLE!!! But we behave as though we know it all, and are scared of anyone finding out we know relatively nothing!

And so we go down fighting! Unaware that we did not have to struggle nearly as much as we thought we had to ...sadly victimized by our own spritely ignorance...and that brings me to the subject of REALITY SHOWS ON TELEVISION!!!

The new fascination..the popular thing...is closer to the "bread and circuses"of the Roman Empire than is comfortable: REALITY SHOWS: real things happening to real people...stories told about and by the same "normal, everyday" people about the commonplace occurrences in their lives, as they pertain to certain subjects (like finances, art, designing clothing, running races and vying for huge greedily bloated sums of money)...and tv audiences around the world sit and watch these real life things happening, not necessarily in real time, but to real people ...not actors...real people...who become over-night reality tv stars!!! Peter and I shamefacedly admit watcing several of these...PROJECT RUNWAY is our favorite...but the really prurient ones, like the ones dealing with peoples' finances...are downright embarassing... the grosser and more embarassing, the more popular they seem to be...we're all Holy Roman Empirites on our way to dissolution and demise!!! we roar at the Christians and the lions....we want to see blood, and then we want to call the bleeding people stupid! Judging let we be judged,obviously. Reality TV Shows are taking over the popular cultural scene. And I, increasingly an old fuddy-duddy, disapprove!!!

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?