Wednesday, September 20, 2006

NYU DAY

,,,starting with a 9:30 Scene Study Class, in the Black Box Theater right off Washington Square....always a nice way to wake up...the stroll from the 7th Avenue subway through Washington Square park is entirly interesting, ne matter the weather...so beautiful...so Edith Wharton and William James...so , even on a morning like this one, when I woke up too late to do anything but rush to get down town, I enjoyed that walk to my class in Pless...the cunning, ever-so-reminiscent-of college-days Black Box Theater...today was an especailly good class, as the students showed me that they actually have been learning some things from the moment we first met, a couple of weeks ago.....their initial monologues (of their own choice) reflected lots of useful growth and progress..I was, for the most part, so happy. Proud of them. Always touched by the young actor in the process of growing into a good actor.

Things have gotten a bit busy....Monday night I read Zach Udko's new little play called GRAVE SHOPPING WITH MOTHER, down at the Dramatists Guild...Zach is a gifted, nutty and rather brilliant playwright recently graduated from NYU MFA Writing, and I am his "mother" muse, useful right now for giving life to the various Mother characters he writes...in SCARY NATION I played "Carrie Nation" (definitely, through Zack's eyes) a maternal and judgemental creature...and for this short new play, deeply hilarious, I played another incarnation of the astonishing mama figure...we had so much fun...and the audience seemed grateful to be able to belly laugh!!!!

Yesterday, I had a morning rehearsal for LAUGHING MATTERS, a lovely new musical by Iris Dart and Mike Stoller...extraordinary and beautiful music and lyrics...David Loud is MD...it was soo good to see him again and to work with him...delightful...we will do several backers' auditions for this delightful new piece on the 28th and 29th....i deeply love what i have read of the book and now know of the music....more on that soon...

Then last evening , to work with my darling 4610 Village Actors...we have goten in Shakespeare in a big way...they love it and seem to thrive reading it...and who am I to complain...he is only the greatest playwright who ever lived!!!! So we are having tremndous fun each Tuesday night!!!

More soon, faithful readers...I promise...xxevalyn

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?