Sunday, August 06, 2006

SF in NYC!!!

...or at least it feels that way , because the heat wave, that horrible heat wave (not at all worth singing about), finally broke and we have a crystal ,cooler ,sweet and sunny day...our city skin feels liberated and we are (metaphorically) dancing in the streets...freedom from oppression! If feels as good as San Francisco does all year round! Or so I imagine...though friend Drew E. says San Fran 's tendency to chill gets very old very fast...given the choice? I will take the chill over the oppresive moist heat any time I can get it!

Before I forget: another special "hello" to my God Daughter Evalyn in Minnespolis!
Ev, you have really been on my mind, since I last heard from your Mom...and as I began to tell the story of your coming into my life, perhaps I had better continue it now....

Even after your Mom and Dad got married and they both were doing their early struggles that we all do about what direction to go with their talents and their life choices, your Mom was saying how she was absolutely sure that children were the most important thing for her to include in her life. I always sensed, no matter how much she worked on her professional acting career, she knew the truly important thing was her eventual meeting with the spirits that became you and your sisters! Your Mom is a very smart woman.

So, when she let me know she was pregnant with you, I felt such joy for her.
And immediately offered to throw her a nice big Baby Shower!!! I don't recall if she told me right away that they had decided to name you after me, but I DO remember when she did tell me, I felt so honored and so happy....and I do remember that the Baby Shower my husband Peter and I threw here at our apartment was a large and joyous party...we sang a song Peter had written called BABY BAIR (have you ever heard it?) and we had such a good time, with your Mom opening the most wonderful presents! Both your Dad and your Mom had many loving friends here in NYC and though we were all sad at the prospect of them moving away from here, we were even more excited about the prospet of soon welcoming you into the world! So, it all balanced out! You know, Life is more often than not a balance between laughing and crying...that's what makes it so exciting to live!

Not long after the Baby Shower, Peter and i got a call at about 6:00 am one morning,from your Pop, telling us that your Mom was in the hospital, and that you were on your way into our world...we got dresssed, grabbed some quarters in case your Dad needed them to make phone calls annoucing your arrival) and a bag of hard candies (your Mom mght want some whle she was waiting for you to arrive) and we rushed on over to the hospital! Very excited of course.

Your Mom was in such good physical shape and you were so ready to come join us, it really did not take long at all, and soon, there I was (privileged to be in the room with your Mom while she worked hard to help you arrive) helping her breathe, telling the mid-wives to hold the mirror a certain way so your mom could see what was going on,etc...and SOON: THERE YOU WERE! Gorgeous and small and perfect and...well...wow.

We all cried with joy (remember what I said about sadness and happiness at the same time? Thus: crying for joy!)

And you were with us at last! Evalyn H. Bair!!!!! My God Daughter...my namesake!

I thought your Dad would burst ,he was so happy...that handsome face of his smiling...I will never forget it! Your Mom was a real champ! As we say in show business: a real trouper! She did a good job!

So, that's what I remeber of the morning you arrived into our lives...except I do recall that after the Main Event, Peter and i went wearily home, stopping for breakfast at our local Metro Diner and i declared to all : I have a new God Daughter and her name is EVALYN!!!!!

Much too soon after that, you and your family moved to Minneapolis, and I have not had much of a chance to get to know you better. I've only seen you once since you oved away, even though your parents did invite us to your christening...we were working in shows and were unable to come to that important event!

So, you and I have to think of ways that we can get to know each other better!
Toward that end, let's put our thinking caps on and see what we can come up with, okay?

Meanwhile, please know that I am here in NYC if you need me for anything at all...never hesitate to call or write me... even if it's just to say "hi"!

There are a lot of adventures to share in the world, and one day ,you and I shall have a few together! Shows to see, flowers to plant, books to read, clothing to try on and hats to wear! Puppies to pet, music to dance to, oceans to cross and many people, places and things to write and talk about! So many adventures.

Dear Evalyn.

Love, Evalyn!

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?