Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Passwords

We have so many of them in our lives. To protect us. From what? People getting into where we don't want them to be, where they could discover something about us we do not want them to know? What are passwords?

Keys. Passwords are keys.

But instead of carrying them in the form of little bits of metal, all different shapes and sizes, colors and weights, we carry password keys around in our heads in the form of little bits of information that mean something to us and only to us. If we're smart, we'll write them down somewhere. In case we forget. But if we don't write them down, and we forget them,then we have effectively locked ourselves out of important daily places in our lives. We are up the old proverbial creek without a...well...without a password.

Our mental keychains are so heavy, aren't they? And, if yours is anything like mine, all the keys look pretty much alike, centering on maybe three or four "key" people, numbers, dates, memories. If you want to know what is truly important in a person's mind and life, look at what they make their passwords out of: which memories are "key"? What people are of such importance , that they become NECESSARY to the opening of personal files and money matters?

Bank passwords....vital, right? I mean, our money is the source of such joys and terrors, and we guard our money with passwords. Secret codes. People who matter , dead or alive, guard us. At least for me they do. Maybe other people don't use people's names as codes. Maybe they simply,unemotionally ,use numbers and random letters. Maybe my secret code "poker face" is far too easily read. Or maybe there are things about me that people who think they know me do not know at all. Passwords. We pass them on...things come to pass....he made a pass at me....hurry we must get through the mountain pass before the storm strikes!....pass me the spaghetti, please...he failed to pass the bar exam...p...aaaaaa....sssss.....pass. Funny word, pass.
A "P" in front of an "aas"....Pass. I pass....My client wishes to pass on the offer, thanks...in almost any context, the use of "pass" as referring to an incipient sexual encounter is most interesting...."Men don't makes passes at girls who wear glasses."...in other words, men pass by women who wear glasses , but to make a pass would show they are interested...sort of confusing.

I thought of passwords this morning because it takes so many passwords to get a day going!
To get into a computer account,to make sure a door is locked, to get into a bank account by phone...passwords, passwords,passwords! I wonder the root of the word "pass"...en passe...grande passe...PASS THE BALL!

Oh well, that is about all I can ruminate concerning this word, for now...any contributions, anyone?

Another glorious day in the countryside of Upstate New York,...gorgeous. I am grateful to be here, and let the rest of the world pass me by for a while. And I need no secret word for that.

Comments:
Congratulations, Sis, on your writing gigs. Once you begin writing for publication, many strange things happen. For example, your spelling improves amazingly. I do so like the way you've decided to upper-case the personal pronoun "I" after so many years doing it a la e.e. cummings.

I was also thrilled to hear about your work with the "Old Reds" and their troupe. Keep the notes coming. Brother Richard.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?