Sunday, June 11, 2006

Watching the Tony Awards...

...the way I used to like when I was a kid....before I ever went to them in person or was nominated for one myself....watching at home, cozy and eating a nice dinner...Peter and I said we would not watch them, feigning disinterest....but, come one! Let's face it....it's like watching an accident on the highway: you are sort of compelled to look and see what blood is spilt! And who is wearing what while the disembowelment ensues! That sinking feeling when the other person's name is called...yet telling yourself: just being nominated is honor enough! And that mini-cam right at your feet, just in case you do win...it's all so human...jut like all of us: so human...so flawed and so wonderful!

So far: Ian McDermid has won Best Supporting Actor in a Play for FAITH HEALER...Frances De La Tour won for Bests Supporting Actress in HISTORY BOYS (Whata a classy dame!)...Kathleen Marshall won for Best Choreography in PAJAMA GAME...and a few have already gone to DROWSY CHAPERONE (I simply cannot remember the writers'names....though by tomorrow, I will know them...Kasey Nicklaw did NOT win for his choreograhpy of that show, but he may win for Best Director...and dear Jane Houdyshell did NOT win for WELL.....and she was the popular favorite... nope....John Dlyle just won Best Director of a Musical for SWEENEY TODD....too bad for all those who lost...which is why i hate competition of any sort...i always feel bad for those who lose! Even in baseball....

It's so interesting....this Brit John Doyle is also classy: he speaks up for it never being too late....so far, British people have swept the awards....and since Canada is still a British colony, even THE DROWSY CHAPERONE is British-based...

wow....

JERSEY BOYS looks really fun...and if Des MacAnuf directed it (I worked with him in BIG RIVER) then it is undoubtedly theatrical...he, however , did not win Best Director,even though nominated...see where I'm going with all this?

It's all so silly: how can you compare artists? I realize the Tony's are an important publicity event for the entire Broadway scene...it helps advertise all the shows...and demographiscs show it does make a difference in ticket sales...and that is good...really it is,

Tomorrow, at 8:00 am sharp, the New School Immersion starts...I will share a cab downtown with Nova THomas and Keith Buehl...two new friends I have come to love...
Nova is a woman, an amazing singer and teacher with whom I share the acting class duties, and she and I have just about decided we are twins separated at birth! So deeply simpatico. And our planning conversations have been amazingly creative...also really fun! And together I think we have put together a terrific curriculum for the Immersion....

THE WEDDING SINGER looks sweet...great energy...at last , a show that looks and feels like a Broadway show....lots of good dancing...

The Intiman Theater in Seattle got a special Regional Theater Tony...Barter deserves one again...it got one of the first long ago...

Well....Best Featured Actress in a Musical is: (the envelope please) Beth Leavel...(for Drowsy Chaperone)..I did THE JAZZ SINGER with Beth a while back at Jewish Rep...nice lady...

Well....THREEPENNY actually looks interesting to me...i adore the way it looks...the style of it...hmmmm...okay enough of this..I have to get ready for tomorrow....

Another year, another Tony Ceremony...memories flood the corners of my mind...

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?