Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Sunny, Gorgeous, Warmish Day Off....

....BUT......i have a day filled with callback auditions and commercial "go-sees"....unavoidable...necessary....I could not tell the lovely MARY POPPINS folks "thanks, but no thanks" when they asked me to return for final callbacks...and even when they obligingly changed my final from yesterday to today, for which I am so grateful, an actor is always going to feel the pressure of " aw gee...do I really have to go through this again?"...Inevitable....and as I tell my students, if you are lucky and work as much as your talent dictates you should work, you will face a thousand callbacks, nerve-wracking and demanding...and if you're one of the lucky ones, you will have to endure thousands of nerve-wracking rehearsal processes and opening nights....and reviews and long-runs and the next jobs..all those anxieties...and that is if you are one of the lucky ones who actually get work and are out there looking for the jobs...so, welcome to SHOW BUSINESS!!

Actually, I am not at all sure that the MARY POPPINS people changed my audition day because of my request, but for whatever reason, I am grateful to them that they did, since today is my day off from A FINE AND PRIVATE PLACE and so I really can concentrate better on the MARY POPPINS tasks ahead....they sent more "sides" to learn and I have been diligently studying them, as well as oistening to the absolutely beautifully produced CD of the London cast....and reading a book of MP stories Peter bought me and watching the movie which bears slight resemblance to the show so gorgeously crafted more recently. I am so impressed with the seamless way George S. and Anthony D.'s new music fits into the story telling. And, infact, theatrically speaking, tells the story even better. The MARY POPPINS London cast album is one of those juicy huge sounds that gets us all excited about being in "the biz"....I have been floating on it for days now...

A very exciting cast recording....George S. did the dance and vocal arrangements as well ...great company numbers...none of which "my" role ("Mrs. Brill, the Housekeeper) is even in, unless she is int hem and I am not aware of that....nonetheless, i would be honored to be part of the Broadway company.

I am also old and experienced enough to know that what will be will be. If, as i teell my students, the role has my name on it, it will be mine...if it has someone's else's name on it, they will win the day and do the show...either way, I will have done my best, as I always strive to do...and I am particularly well-prepared fort hese call backs...so...let the games begin!!!

Meanwhile, back at the routine of life, A FINE AND PRIVATE PLACE is previewing well...audiences are growing and audiences are quite warm and appreciative. My song in the 2nd Act, No One Ever Knows seems to warm their hearts and I get a lot of lovely comments on it after the show. Our company of 5 is working hard and well together, and despite the on-going rehearsal calls, we remain upbeat and positive, wanting to give the show every possible chance to succeed, despite the gathering ensemble weariness. True, it is not a strenuous show, no crazed dance numbers or huge physical demands, but the accumulated effect of weeks of work, tension, learning and perservering through sawdust and new stage platforms to get used to, well...of course it all takes its toll and we are feeling it. But I have not noticed any slacking on the part of any of us, and the show gets our best, each and every performance. We have had a week of previews, including the strange but routinely scheduled Monday night show. Our night off at The York is Tuesday. I hear ticket sales are going well, and since The York has decided to stop papering in ordert to stimulate more actual ticket sales, each and every ticket sold is of great value. This company deserves to thrive. It does important work. So, I am thrilled with each and every single seat filled by a paying person. Bless them.

There are varying levels of pricing, enabling students and and others who need a price break to buy as well. This is so smart.

Anyway, back to MARY POPPINS and the few hours ahead...much of my day depends on how the first foray into the room goes...I gather that the entire production team and producers will be there today....so i guess i will see Cameron M. again, after years of not seeing him....he is always cordial and warm to me..and i lok forward to it, as well as to seeing Ants and George, who are so dear...they gave us their House Seats when we went to see MP in London last year and we enjoyed aglass of wine with Anthony before the show...and adorable pair of men, those two...and so deeply gifted.
Also, I look forward to seeing Richard Eyre again...the tall, handosme and talented director of this piece. Very appealing man, and deeply engaging artist....he was so very nice to me last audition....And of course David Caddick, Musical Supervisor...intensely taletned group of theatre artists. With a lot on the line for the New York production. Such an expensive proposition to produce here. And this is a large show. But when Peter and i saw it in London , we were so moved by it. I felt so included in it. It's a show with an enormous heart. And with the new songs and more theatrical story telling , it feels even warmer,more human. I feel it will be a large hit here. For their sakes, I pray it will be.

So, will it be a part of my professional future? Who the heck knows? One way or the other, the future looks fun, so I am grateful for it all, no matter what. Stay tuned dear readers.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?