Thursday, March 09, 2006

History....and mine...

...meaning several things...this past week was filled with history...both my own personal and my getting cast in something that has to do with our nation's....

First of all, I got offered a role in a Mt.Vernon Park film I auditioned for a couple of weeks ago, and that made me so happy...I will play "Nellie", the great-granddaughter of General George Washington!...There is an adorable scene with me alone talking about my memories of Mt.Vernon, and my time as a child with my famous great-grandfather! It is a swell long speech, a cute scene really....and I will shoot it somewhere at a stately home in New Jersey on March 21st,for which i had to get out of A FINE AND PRIVATE PLACE rehearsal for that day....and today I have a costume meeting concerning it, where measurements will be taken..I guess I 'll be in full 19th century costume....and wig, I presume...we shall see...in any event, it will be an adventure and fun I am sure! And whoever goes to visit Mt. Vernon can push a button on some exhibit somewhere there and see me! ANd it's a healthy day's wage as well!

The next thing to do with history was my fun dinner with my two old chums from Atlanta, North Fulton High School days, my fellow Clef Dwellers: Britt Dean and Chip Dodsen! We met at Joe Allen and ate and drank the night away, remembering and laughing about a lot of stuff I thought I had long forgotten...Britt came armed with photos of us from those days, and i dragged two Highschool year books with me that had more photos and inscriptions as well in our adolescent hand-writing! It was a pretty amazing night. And the stories of our lives are so deeply dramatic compared to anything i ever could have ever imagined at that time..when we are that young, there is no way we can imagine the breadth and depth of human life eperience and the many different roads it can take us down, so I spent most of the evening with my jaw dropped open in amazement...and it was fun. And also mildly miraculous that after some 40 years, we still "know" each other, and have the capacity to appreciate that!

Chip (whose grown-up name is Olin) is spending a night or two here at our place, as Britt returned home to Atlanta today and Chip has stuff to do here still...so i offered the Purple Room! He'll be here tonight and tomorrow night, I think.

THE CLEF DWELLERS....North Fulton High School...Atlanta, Georgia..singing in the USSR with the Special Choir under tha directon of Robert S.Lowrance ,Jr. Also singing at North Fulton Highschool Bulldog Pep Rallies! We were such celebs! And now Britt has grandchildren!!!! HELLO! We all look exactly as we used to look, except grayer, more lined, and slightly filled out...we have the faces of well-travelled livers of life! And our eyes know more than they used to know...naturally. We are all still tall, and looking at our old photos of the trio, it's easy to see that they were (are) us.....we look like our own parents! I can hardly believe this is true..that she is me...that I am now me....that 40 years (40 years???) have flown by ....good god.

One thing that stuns me is how many more memories both the guys have than I have of those days...I barely remember much of anything of that time really...And they remember so much! So many small things...I had absolutely no idea the sort of strong difference I was making in their lives...I had no idea...because i was deeply occupied taking care of my own self then, and it was like I had blinders on in so many ways...I was driven and heading for a certain destination: theater, being an actress, taking care of me....wow...my memories are few, really.

So there is much to write about.

Comments:
What a pleasure to hear - and then read - on Chip and Britt's visit. History catches up with us all. Much love from the south. Brother Richard.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?