Monday, March 27, 2006

Hah!

Not much of a "Day Off" I have given to myself today....needless to say, I have little to complain about, but for some odd reason or other I could not fall asleep last night and so am draped with that grey fatigue that is woven when not only has no sleep graced your night, but there is that strangeness of having sort of stayed awake through it all....so am I coming or going? Awake or asleep? Do I care or not? Do I feel sad or happy? Without sleep it all feels the same, doesn't it?

And when I think about how little sleep the students at any college get, ie. my kids at NYU, I feel so sad for them all. I am meeting with one this morning, a man of tremendous talent, but who is so thoroughly defeated by his simple lack of sleep, it's hard to know what he can really do... yet, it is because of his enormous talents that he is constantly asked by all at the school to work so hard in so many projects, and is therefore his young self that does not know how to handle it all...add to that his natural ambition...his desire to do even more...and , well, you get a young version of me! I was that way: driven and indefatiguable! My saving grace was a husband who knew how to take care of me! True, we could not stay married, but that does not get in the way of his taking care of me still!

That being said, I will be kind in my meeting with this wonderful student this morning. But I must make it clear that he needs to rest and think...choose and choose well, for his further growth.

But, as I was saying, his meeting at 8:30 is only one way I have loaded myself down with things to do on what is supposed to be my day off from A FINE AND PRIVATE PLACE...class, of course...then I will (or wll not) go to an on-camera audition for something Abrams Artists has asked me to do...I probably would not be able to shoot it anyway....we will be close to tech rehearsals by then...but we shall see...

And then, Alex T. , a favorite student of mine recently booked in HISTORY BOYS on Broadway, understudying 4 or 5 roles needs help this evening, and of course that will be a pleasure. A total pleasure.He is superb. And at least I will be home!

Then, Peter will need some sttention for his audition tomorrow...gladly given...the attention, I mean..

And , whoops...all of a sudden: tomorrow will be here, and an all-too-soon 10 AM call! We are into review of our total blocking, and it is wonderful! The show is so rich. And Gabe is helping us make it richer. No question but that the script is benefitting from al the attention Gabe is encouraging us to lavish on it!

I am amazed yet again how intelligence, investigation, following of instincts and well-placed exploration can unlock so much in a page of well-written script. Like the unfolding of the flower that can only be called "human".

Whew! I feel better just thinking about the privilege of it all.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?