Saturday, March 18, 2006

End of First Rehearsal Week...

....and all goes well...in fact, working with Joe K. is remarkably powerful....something that, due to the nature of the shows we had worked on toegether so far in our careers, we've never had a chance to explore together...he is a powerful, emotional actor. And so as we worked on our argument scene (called "The Argument", in the music it's set to), we really had fun as we blew each other away to various sides of the room with our explorations! He is a fun man to work with, and I guess I am not all that surprised, as he has had one of the more consistent and distinguished New York musical careers...I am just happily reminded, as we work hard on building the relationship between Rebek and Klapper...I love that he is so handsome and still such a viably attractive man...when we did the show 16 years ago, I don't think it ever dawned on me that Rebek and Klapper were anything other than 2 old altekackers (a Yiddish word for old people)...clearly since I am older, I realize they are so much more than that..and Joe makes it easier to fulfill that realization...

So does Gabe B.....what a kind, creative and supportive director he has developed into...he is all about collaboration, and listens intently when an actor has a contribution to suggest...and , much to my delight, he wants the most solid emotional truths to support the story of this play as we tell it...it feels to me, again and again, that he and I are thinking the same thoughts about certain moments of rehearsal...it feels so sympatico...it is certainly a lovely way to work, and we all feel so taken care of....

St. Patrick's Day yesterday , with its attendant Parade, but ever since I saw two teenage boys pissing on the side of The Metropolitan Museum of Art, against the Temple of Dendur's window's, ( I was passing by in a cab, cutting through Central park), I have hated St.Patrick's Day and the Parade...a day of senseless alcohol consumption and stupid adolescent behavior, highly over-rated...ever since that afternoon years ago, I try to stay as far away from the entire thing as I can, and yesterday I managed to do just that...except for a minor detour in the cab home, due to some totally arbitrary-seeming street closing...but instead of going home, I had the cab drop me at Paul and Steve's, where Peter joined me later for a nice family dinner: celebrating the birthdays of both my niece Rachel and Steve's daughter Christine....it was good, though I was tired. As usual, Steven made wonderful food...and there was a large chocolate cake....! We really do have a NYC family here, and Steve sees to it we gather as regularly and as often as we can...I like that.

Day Off today and much needed...tomorrow we resume rehearsals...Monday,I resume teaching at NYU (it has been Spring Break Time), and continue to rehearse...Tuesday, I shoot the Mt. Vernon film , and so starting early, (a 7 am pickup Midtown), I must assume the persona of Geroge Washington's grand-daughter Nellie Custis! Then early morning teaching again on Wednesday, and I can come home and collapse, since Wednesday is our day off next week! So, today I really must store up some extra energy! And so I shall!...so I shall!

Bye for now...

Comments:
Many thanks from Barbara and me for your inter-family celebration of Rachel's (and Christine's) birth day. Good luck with your DAR role. Love from the South...Brother Richard.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?