Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Where Does the TIme Fly....

.....as it seems to, with no writing getting done! So sorry, faithful readers... and HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to one and all....my darling sweetheart husband gave me an intensely beautiful bouquet of deep red roses....perfect. And I taught a class tonight, and it was fun...Liz K. and Jesse F. did some wonderful work on their audition 8 and 16 bar audition pieces, and it was amazing to watch them understand how to make them more powerful....i adore working with talented people....one of the joys of teaching this particular class. ANd the Steinhardt kids? Fabulous! Again, what fun!

Full day tomorrow downtown, as I try to sit in on more and more of the Steinhardt classes...also, lunch with yet another student. Then my weekly Shambala class, getting deeper and deeper into meditation and discovering a lot.

The dear British folk of MARY POPPINS have asked to see me again in April...the way they put it: there is quite a lot of interest in me for the role of the housekeeper and they would like to "explore it further" in APril...in other words: a callback! If this is meant to be, so be it. If not, it is still a lot of fun, so far.

Also, the folks at York Theater finally offered me the role in A FINE AND PRIVATE PLACE, which begins rehearsal in mid-March...itis the role of "Gertrude Klapper", that I originated at Goodspeed oh so many years ago.....Oddly, I would have been fine if they had asked someone else to play it, though I do love the show...and the men who wrote it are dear and talented....so very talented. I guess, since returning from Barter, where we all worked so very hard all the time, I have been rather enjoying my freedom from an 8-show-a -week life , and in fact am glad that the run at the York is a limited one, as part of their season. Also, Gabe Barre will direct, and he is dear old pal, and in fact was in the cast at Goodspeed....there is word he may be in it here too , as well as direct. Of course, I will continue teaching my class at Steinhardt, so days will soon be fuller than I have been wanting them to be...but, obviously it is meant to be, so....bless it all!

And there is the reading of the next Shaw piece (FANNY'S FIRST PLAY) that both Peter and I will be in at the Players Club on the 27th of this month...and Peter is doing a reading of new sceenplay for director Janice Goldberg at NYU next week as well...

But one of the funnest things of all: I had dinner with Amanda Aldridge last night at Joe Allen's, because she (and soon Rick Rose) are in town auditioning for their Summer shows....SOOOO GOOD TO SEE HER! We ate and talked and ate and talked....so lovely. Made me nostalgic again for Barter and lovely Abingdon. But, as i have said again and again, a part of my heart will always be there. Peter and I will have dinner with both Rick snd Amanda later this week.

Our life is clearly here, for now. For many reasons. This becomes clearer and clearer as time passes. Life lessons learnable no where else. Also clear.

I have been hearing from so many great folks, lately , as they read the blog...Brian thank you for being in touch...all of you: thanks. Tell me more about you...all of you!

By the way, we saw a preview of FANNY HILL at the York ,written by dear Ed Dixon...a lovely production...it opens tonight, I think and we are all waiting with baited breath to see what the critics say...Ed has worked so hard on the piece over such a stretch of time...if it moves to Broadway as a result of this production at the York, he will have worked hard and long to deserve it! His producers are devoted and believe in it and in Ed, so their devotion is to be commended! Such patience and caring. After we saw the show, Peter and I went to MaMa Mexico and ate lots of good Mexican food and drank far too many of their potent margaritas! But it is a short walk home from there, and we took the required aapirin and I for one woke up feeling swell....MaMa Mexico is one place I missed all the time I was away....we love it. And it felt like a real date with my very own husband.

So, life is moving along, right? Even through the amazing snow blizzard of 2006 which recently covered the city in some 27 inches of cold white stuff....the snow was falling so hard, and the winds made it fall sideways! We spent that whole day Sunday in bed, a great place from which to watch a sideways snowfall..our bed is surrounded by windows on all sides, overlooking West End Avenue and 104th Street too....the City was pretty immobilized, but, like all humans, New Yorkers loved the holiday provided by the storm, secretly grateful it fell on a Sunday, so we could all get back to work the following morning. Dutifuuly trudging through the yucky snow. . NYU felt such a long way away! But my Monday class was GREAT!

Enough rambling....more soon, I promise.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?