Saturday, February 18, 2006

Warm and Fuzzy....

.....familiar, in that way of good friendship: we met Rick R. and Amanda A. from Barter at the Eros Cafe last evening before they went to see LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA and we went down to NYU to see some of my students in an NYU Players CLub production of some new music called EDGES...great fun.

But for me, the best thing of all was simply being with and talking to Rick and Amanda again...we have not been with them as a couple since last January, before Peter and i went to London, and the four of us have shared so much in our few years of friendship, it's hard to replace what we have as friends with other people...so last evening, sitting around eating servicable coffee shop food, in one of those familiar NYC rushed modes , I cried with the relief and familiarity of it....we will meet with them again tomorrow morning for brunch at the Metropolitan Musuem.

As Rick I were making plans on the phone this morning, it came back to me how we all had fun on our first trip to Disneyworld, staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort, and how every morning we would meet at the Marketpplace for breakfast and plan our full day of Parl Hopping ahead...the four of functioned like a well-oiled vacation machine, with Amanda's determined planning energies combining with Ric's love of the spontaneous...Peter and i had such a good good time there with them, we decided to get married at Disneyworld as a result of that trip....

There is such creative productive energy in how Rick and Amanda approach living in the world, resulting in a hearty hugging of each and every moment possible.
Yes...that's the right word: hugging...they embrace life , those two, as each moment of it unfolds before them, and since sometimes the only way to get through life is to pay close intimate attention to that moment that is directly in front of you and give it all, their way of being is energetic and observant, thus productive and, well, for me,the funnest sort of fun....when I engage in a conversation with Rick, or Amanda, there is something strong, challenging and demanding coming back at me: two good minds, couple with two superb hearts...they are sane and practical people, who I love very much. And Peter and Rick have a special undestanding of each other that warms my heart. Rick sees what is possible in Peter, and the first question out of his mouth was : Are you wrting music? I adore that....because Rick oprovided Peter with some terriic opportunities to score various plays, resulting in some really good music from Peter's imagination and heart. It's one of my favorite things Peter does: write wonderful music....

As it happens, Peter is currently writing music for Wendy Parker's new show about the Jamestown Settlement for the Barter Player Company, with an eye toward creating a show that can sell elsewhere as well....and what he has written so far is spritely and deightful...yet again, unlike anything else I have heard from his pen. He sent that first song to Wendy and she loves it too. So they are on their way...

The day is cold and sunny out...a quiet NYC weekend...soon, as my rehearsals start for A FINE AND PRIVATE PLACE at the York Theatre, there will be less of this nice freedom, so I'm enjoying it while I can. Also, the next Shaw Project reading is on Monday the 27th at the Players Club, and there will be some expenditure of energies surrounding that, since I am playing "Mrs. Gilbey" opposite George S.Irving...i have become quite the lazy slug in relationsip to my acting efforts...but, like riding a bicyle, I'm sure it will all come back when I need it to...doesn't it always? I will be back on a New York stage again after being away from it for lots of years....5 years, at least...so there is some occasion for celebration here, i suppose...Funny how working so consistently at a demanding theater like the Barter can change one's perspective on the performing thing. I can only think that such a change of perspective is serving to make my work better and more mature...clearly, this is how i will proceed..."Klapper", a large role, will rewquire some serious re-visiting, since I last did it some dozen years ago...now I am at least closer to the right age for her...funny how these things happen...we are all older now...and Gabe Barre will not only direct this time (Bob Kalfin directed the original at Goodpseed) but still play the role of the Raven as well...so he and I are the only two original cast members....Christiane Knoll will play Maureen Silliman's part, and Glen Allen will play Brian Sutherland's role...a gorgeous cast. Ah yes, and my old pal from Les Mis and other things, Joe Kolinski, is playing Rebeck...all I can say to that is WOW. He is truly marvelous.This will be fun.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?