Friday, February 24, 2006

THE Pajama Game....

....IS the game we're in...and we're proud to be in THE PAJAMA GAME, we love it....we can hardly wait to wake and get to work at eight...nothin's quite the same as the Pajama Game!".....AND THE NEW PRODUCTION, with the divine Kelly O'Hara and Harry Connick, Jr. is a HIT on Broadway!!! At least according to today's NY Times..

This review i just read makes me so happy....why, I wonder....well, I grew up listening to and learning all the musicals of the '50's...didn't we all? And THE PAJAMA GAME , either the movie version with Doris Day and John Raitt, or the Broadway version with Janis Paige , was it? and the redoubtable John Raitt,was one of the LP's on my turntable from earliest memory...so, I had every word down pat, and could belt "You may be sold , but this girl ain't buyin'" with the best of 'em, even at age 10! Or was i younger? In any event, THE PAJAMA GAME resonates along with my youth, and to see it revived, gloriously cast (is there anyone sexier than Harry Connick Jr. except for my husband , of course)and wonderfully reviewed makes me want to go to Broadway theater again....I am so glad it's in town! And Kelly O'Hara is so beautiful, both in voice and face....she enraptured me in A LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA...she's my iea of a Broadway star. So, now we have this shiny new thing in town, and it speaks of love and optimism and healthier times, when innocence was actually an American possibility.

A show from the early 50's before the Industrial-Military complex got it's slimy fingers into every single ganglia of our national body.....a real "walk-away-humming-the- tunes" Broadway show. YAY! I can harly wait to see it. And why? I will hum myself back to my pre-teen years, and sing unembarrasedly along with the orchestra.
Peter will poke me in the side continually to stop, and maybe I will, maybe I won't!
That show makes me feel cheeky! Reminds me of a time when I thought anything was possible. And, you know what, I still feel that way? No matter how long we stay in Iraq.

So today is sunny and cold. Which helps clear the head...my head , to be exact, since it was my head, and Peter's head, along with the heads of Rachel B. , her Alison, friend Hillary and Chris C. , all of whom stayed up late into last night playing Cranium at Paul and Steve's, after a glorious dinner and huge slabs of chocolate cake for dessert! We had a GAME NIGHT, en famille, and it was so much fun, I was crying with laughter! I felt practically drunk, and i had no liquor, only cake and laughter. Another lovely night, prepared and hosted by Stephen C. who is so wonderful at that sort of thing....we all had the best time in the world, and Steve has the wisdom to know that we all need to gather as a family like that and enjoy each other every now and then....Thank you, beautiful Steve! I'm telling you , I have not laughed that much in so long! Wonderful! Cleanses the soul, and the eyes, with all those delicious tears of laughter sttreaming out....

Will spend some time down at NYU today, watching a class and conferencing with a student....

Peter is rehearsing a reading of a new screenplay down at NYU Grad Writing, and i will go see it read tomorrow....Janice Goldberg directs. And soon I must sit and prep my tax info for our accountant meeting in a few weeks....and the time flies by.
A bit more sweetly, perhaps, now that THE PAJAMA GAME is in town.....

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?