Thursday, February 09, 2006

And the Winner Is...

....GEE'S BEND!!! Elyzabeth W. called me last night and told me that the Alabama Shakespeare folks had called and told her they wanted to produce her play in their next season! This is a definite affirmation of all the hard work put into prepping the play for the Southern Writers' Conference...so proud of her...and I'm glad I coud help in any small way at all....so proud of her.

But the success of this piece of theatrical writing is due in no small part to the time money and care that the Alabama Shakespeare Festival gives to its commissioned writers. Once they spend the money, and it's not an inconsiderable amount either, they give the chosen writers time to develop it, then both space and time once the Conference itself begins...they take the time to cast the readings carefully, and hire the actors specifically for that job...they house,feed and take care of all the staff for each separate play chosen, and it is tasteful and nurturing. True, the regime at that theater has changed recently, so many of its normal elements were in flux, but still, care was taken, creativity encouraged. And not too much legislation from the Theater's creative upper echelon...there is a feeling of freedom.

So, the whole thing is a credit to the creative process.

I know I was made to feel very welcome, at home and necessary. And not only ws i the officially recognized dramaturg for the GEE'S BEND project (the new Artistic Director even specially thanked me for the work I did on it, which was very thoughtful), but when there was a task to do, they asked me if I could help do it, like sit on a panel one afternoon concerning New Play Development and New Audiences, and one night, they asked me to be a judge for a late-night Poetry Slam!!! SO much fun! I said yes to it all.....after all that was what I was there for, right?
I enjoyed each thing. Especailly the Poetry Slam, filled with local poets , an amazing array!! I had never seen anything quite like it before...so I dove right in and...well..judged! ALong with two other people connected with the Festival....and we chose a First, Second, and Third Place winner....amazing....Late late into the night...Poets' seem to need no sleep.... it was a new and interesting experience.

The weather was idyllic while we were there, reminding me how much I miss the mild way Nature makes herself known in the South....and the theater itself is placed on some of the prettiest rolling green land I've ever seen, which ,I learned, was actually a part of the Blount Estate at one time, umtil they gave the land to the theater for its new building and grounds. There is a Shaklespeare Garden, complete with thatched roof from England, and lovely acreage for the patrons to sit and picnic on, generous benches and tables for all to enjoy and patios...all in all, the word I woul duse to describe the Alabama Shakespeare Festival is : gracious.

I was able to see some of the Alabama acting company of long standing in one or two of the shows, and I loved each and every one of them. Genuine gifted actors who have chosen to make Alabama their home, and whose resumes are most impressive. Terrific and talented people. Reminding me, once again, that New York and LA are not the centers of the world.....gifted people are everywhere.

My short time at this Festival was wonderful and, as I have said, I learned a lot about so many things. I am so glad I went to do this particular dramaturg thing.I guess I cna now put that on my resume: dramaturg! (what IS a dramaturg , anyway?)

Well.....teaching is about to begin, and then off to a voice -over audition.,...New York, New York....a busy town. More soon.




,

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?