Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Visitors From Down South....

...and they are John Hedges and Melissa Owens, our much beloved Barter colleagues on break between seasons...we meet htem today after their matinee of LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA and have supper before seeing BRIDGE AND TUNNEL on our press tix from the show's press agent....and then John and Meliss will spend a few nights with us...and we shall talk and talk and talk and talk....

Of course the rest of this week has turned out to be incredibly stuffed with activity for both Peter and me, and that will necessarily shape our time with our friends, but since they will be staying here, in our pretty Purple Room, we can at least share late night cups of tea and talk some more....with the year they had last year, the soap opera melodrama of their separate and together relationships, and our being absent for the whole thing, there will be lots of good old fashioned gossip in all the talk as well...so happy they are here...so glad we will see them as much was we are able to...

Shaping up class for beginning at Steinhardt ont he 18th...Bill Wesbrooks has veeb very helpful, and I have already sent out emails to the class with their first class assignments for that very first meeting...Bill sent them all an email introducing me to them, so my mail would no be a surprise...Bill has also asked me to stop by his rehearsals for THE MERRY WIDOW at The Loewe Theatre and do some on-site coaching of a couple of his leads...if my Friday schedule permits, I will gladly drop in and help if I can. Imagine: THE MERRY WIDOW! These kids all have such vocal chops already. Impressive.

I sent my letter of resignation yesterday to the CAP 21 Board. Time for that part of my life to be done. SO much I could have said, but I kept it to a nice simple statement of purpose, and thanked all for all I have learned there. The strangest part of all is the way the attendant friendships have stopped evolving. This is a source of some hurt, because my friendships (I thought) contained love, and love often surprises me in the different shapes it does take. Often so unlike its very self. I am amazed. And less innocent.

But, oddly, not less loving.

Paul gave me a book to read about the Dalai Lama...I can hardly wait to start it.

News from the South: friends of ours, a marriage containing a Christian and a Jew, had a Chanukah flag in their front yard for the holiday...three terrifying boys from the area burned it in their front yard. The community is reacting appropriately,shocked and dismayed, but that it even happened scares me. For so many reasons. I do realize that bigotry and hate are not confined to the South of this country. Of course not, But, when i think of things burningin peoples' yeard, I think of Southern men in white sheets...right? RIght. So, even my mind, filled with admiration for the South, goes there and is sad...Again, hate is not a regional thing...it is in humans no matter where we are...but...well...you get my sad point.

The boys, I am told, bragged about it. Stupid and hate-filled.

So, onward, and upward, please.

Peace.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?