Tuesday, December 13, 2005

KING KONG .....

...is a smash hit at the Box Office, the recent re-make by Peter Jackson...and that ape in California turned down the appeal for mercy of Tookie Williams and the former gang leader has, after all, been executed in California...every time i actually experience the inhumanity of man to his fellow, I am always surprised...why is that? It's like when I buy a Lotto Scratch card and I DON'T win, I am always amazed and surprised, because I think i always should win....so when I don't, I am always so taken aback! And it's the same with each act of human stupidity and cruelty... Yes, this former founder of the Crips gang in LA killed people a quarter of a century ago, but in that time he has done so much to make up for what he did, and has, by all accounts, changed to the degree that begs forgiveness....he has been on Death Row for over two decades! And finally, when his last appeal was denied by Governor Schwartenegger (those two words together still chill my blood), he was killed by lethal injection last night! How deeply truly bone-chillingly sad. Well, Arnold S. has his Fate to meet one day,and his karma is laden already with things to pay for, so one more thing...well...how sad. Sad that Forgiveness is not high on the list of Americans' prioroties....the majority on the pop polls did want this guy dead, no matter what. We have not travelled far from our cave days have we?

Along to more hopeful things: the reading of SCARY NATION was so good last night.
The packed audience at The Cherry Lane was delighted, obviously, by the play, and the 90 minutes flew by, filled with laughter and hushed disgust as the dark-limned cautionary tale unfolded. We had fun. All were pleased. I was home by 10:00, which felt good, because the Village always feels colder and more wintry than the rest of NYC...I think it's its romantic legacy, to feel oh so "La Boheme", and wintry, so that the storied struggle of the young masses continues to have the right backdrop!
Being on several of those tiny streets, like Bedford where The Cherry is, feels always like being on some sort of quaint movie set...not quite real, the scale is so human and enter-able...so adorable, so warmly lit from inside the interesting buildings...so it was good to get the reading done, then hurry home to a warm husband and an even warmer Upper Westside apartment! Today is cold cold cold as well.
But sunny!

I have a couple more meetings at Abrams Artists today, then a voice-over audition at Ogilvey...then a large Shareholders Meeting here at the 890...I shifted my classes around so i could go to this large meeting tonight. I want to tune in to more of the Co-op's goings-on...it has become a major Upper West Side building now, and feels more and more like an investment to protect, so going to my first Shareholders Meeting in years seems like a good idea.

Mark D. called form the Barter the other evening. It was soooooo good to talkwith him and his dearest gifted wife Cherry...acording to Mark, the Barters' latest struggle with the Town Council resolved in the theatre's favor, and this is good news. I must email Rick R. to congratulate. I always enjoyed going to Abingdon town meetings, though they often incensed me too, because it really is an example of America at its most human: the genuine Town Meeting...accesible and ...well....human. So I like that. Even if I do not always like politics. I like gatherings of people! And of course I will always think the theatre is right, right? The important part is : a theatre like the Barter is intrinsically involved in the life of the town it lives in...this is only right and good.

So, life, as usual,is about death and change, about argument and resolution, about cold and warming....about listenihg even when it is tough to do so, and hanging in there, even when one' s fingernails start breaking. Or, as the indominable "Dory" in FINDING NEMO says: "Keep swimming, keep swimming, keep swimming, keep swimming, keep swimming.....keep swimming...keep swimming...keep swimming....."

And for now, wetly, xxev

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?