Saturday, December 17, 2005

Here's To the Ladies Who Lunch....

.....thank you Mr.Sondheim for that immortal phrase....because yesterday i was indeed one of those ladies, along with Nancy T., Lois R. and Jacky Y....at the Metropolitan Museum Trustees Dining room! Quiet ,elegant and fun!

And we decided to do it quarterly, as Jax, our lady banker suggested...we really do have the most fun together talking about an entire array of subjects...these women are smart, and funny, and insightful.

After lunch, though Lois had to split, the three of us remaining strolled the galleries and shopped the shops...again...fun!

Last night,while darling Peter remained home working on the Christmas project he is doing for Nancy T., Paul and Steve took me to such a fun thing: Jackie Beat down at the The Cutting Room, in her Christmas Show....I have not enjoyed myself like thst in such a long time...Jackie is a sparkling and deeply clever transvestite performer (HE is actually a sit-com writer in LA), and the show was witty as can be, irreverant to a blushing degree, and, finally, I found, thoroughly engaging on several levels, not the least of which (for me) being the idea that this man creates this character twice nightly, and puts it out there with all the verve and focus and energy committment of a Shakespearean, and in so doing, contributes thrillingly to yet another arena of performance art in this City full of performance artists....

And this was no lip-synching act...this "woman" used her own voice to sing her clever parodies of Christmas songs, and that voice is warm, flexible, rangy, gorgeous and strong...a genuine singer, wrapped up in a glorious blonde wig (complete with poinsettia), a short red-velvet dress and bountiful cleavage...the eye makeup alone was worth the trip downtown...I had sich a good time. And of course being with Paul and Steve is one of my favorite things to do always.

Today, Peter, Paul, Steve and I drive up to the house Upstate, to do some shopping, crafting (I want to put together a gift I am making for someone special)
Tonight we drive to Bridgeport, CT. to see the fantastic Jane Siberry at the Acoustic Cafe..then back to the House for a good nights sleep...tomorrow we get a lot done for the Holiday by running errands Upstate...then to Nancy T's house for some Christmas cheer and tree-trimming...

Monday,I sign papers at Abrams....go do a radio booking for Time-Warner (I auditioned for it last week and booked it yesterday) and then meet wth Cynthia Adler at the Stella Adler Studios about some ideas she has on her mind....that should be interesting...I am sort of curious about what all that may be about.

Lately, I have been made aware that there are people who get up in he morning and one of the first things they do is to tune in to what i have written here on these blog pages...i have received many wonderful warm supportive notes from people who seem to be getting such pleasure from reading what I write...this makes me feel so good, of course. And I thank all who have communicated with me on that score. And there are some others who, while not communicating with me directly, have let it be known that what i write here deeply affects them as well. "I've heard it through the grapevine..."....in all cases, I can only say: I write because I love to write. I am a person with no particular place of power of status or importance and yet, like each and every one of us in this world, I have things to say. I am not filled with hate, I wish no particular person or group of persons harm, I only have opinions (and you know what opinions are often compared to...)I also have the ability to string words together in ways that please at least me...I have a love of words...and I am thrilled beyond measure when what my words say make people feel good...that being said, I do not wish , nor do i intend my words to have any particular power...and as I tell my young acting students about critics: do not read them! Especially while you are in a show they are writing about....no critic is worth losing your focus on what you are doing....and if something you read bothers you, STOP READING IT!!!!!! ...And if what I write continues to bother you in some substantive way, I can only hope it will lead to true dialogue, written or spoken, between parties involved...all we have in this world is our ability to communicate with each other. Not at each other, not behind each other, but with.

And, as I have also always thought: it is possible that reading something can also teach the person reading it something they may need to know....I often have learned, whether I have wanted to or not....I must keep writing....and whoever wishes to, please do keep reading...but above all, enjoy it! Or stop reading it. Clearly, the folk who continue to read, even though it angers them, are enjoying what the blog has to say...after all, finally, i do believe we only do those things we want to do.

I still want to tell you about the Faculty Tea i went to at Steinhardt School...but now i have to get ready to go to the country! So , later, friends...later...

xxev

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?