Friday, November 11, 2005

It's Falling, Falling, Falling..

...into the first brisk,clarifying notes of late Autumn, and our bodies begin to remember what it feels like to bundle up in defense...there is the taunt of a sharp-tongued Winter present...and its gleeful smile is evident in the lovely sunshine that accompanies the edge of cold in the wind...thank you Catherine B. for replying to what you read in this blog...makes me feel so good that people read it...and, every now and then, actually enjoy it...and even more, have the good grace to express a kindred feeling to do with what they read.

I was particularly touched by Janet M.'s response to the beautiful quote I included one day from Lama Surya Das...

Peter and I saw such a fun production of THE APPLE TREE last night down at NYU...a production of the Steinhardt School of Music, in their little Black Box Theater off Washington Square. A terrific use of the space, scenically, legitimate fun in the performances and the clever direction, and such a pleasure to hear singing voices with such fine presence. Costumes looked great (they borrow from The Costume Collection...a smart idea), and the totally packed small house had a great time...some of the cast i was already familiar with from watching classes, and the understanding of genuine character work was wonderfully surprising...it's like the understanding of what real vocal freedom is contributes to the students' understanding of what free large delightful character work is, and the results were remarkable...brave...with a sort of assurance and bravado that comes with pure fun.

We had dinner in a swell Mexican place before the show, and the West Village felt so alive with this Autumn briskness that presages the arrival of the Holidays. Invigorating. Peter and I are both getting excited about driving away to Michigan for Thanksgiving. Getting away....puppies cuddled in our laps...hours to spend while we drive to talk about life and simply be together. Not a lot of that lately, we are both so busy. Our doggies Cyrano and Sally adore riding in the car with us, and as soon as their little doggie bodies feel the engine's hum, they fall asleep deeply and become the meaning of the word cuddle...comforting, that sweet heavy feel of these little dogs' warm weight...total trust.Total relaxation. They love the car.

News from Barter: Melvin D. and Stephanie H. are engaged! Adorable and gifted young actors. She was "Louise" to my "Mama Rose"...so happy for them.

We leave for Michigan on the 19th, and the night before, Peter and I shall go see THE SOUND OF MUSIC at a nearby prep because one of my students, Caroline G. is playing "Maria" in it...she is beautiful and gifted and that should be fun! Another one of my younger students just got cast in the lead of her school musical and she is so excited...Britt B. as " Ruth" in WONDERFUL TOWN!! I'll go see that too!! And this weekend I may try to catch yet another of my "pre-college" kids in his production PETER PAN at Yorktown Players!(Kevin G. is playing " NaNa" the doggie...another wonderful young actor!)) All these youngsters excite and inspire me so much. Going to see them is the very least I can do. And despite what some people have told me is "wrong" to do, I am so moved by the work of all these students in my classes, I have to write about them. They bravely break through so many of their own fears every time they come to class each week, why should I be scared of announcing their bravery to people who care? What I am understanding is: we must not let others' fears make us smaller. With compassion, we must continue to make the world larger, even for the fearful ones. And maybe one day they will be glad too. I have spent so much of my life being influenced by others' fears. But, then, haven't we all? Compassion. Gotta keep working on it in my life.

Along with that, there are things mounting up Peter and i must cacth up with soon: the new SWEENY TODD, and I would like to see Judy Kaye in SOUVENIR. Many plays, both on and off Bway, too....in fact, lots!

But for now? OFF TO THE GYM!!!

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?