Friday, October 28, 2005

Brrrrrrr.

...and the molecules of NYC speed up with the cold...like a well-shaken cold martini...as the temperature drops, the pace in the street becomes faster, people have red-faced cheery smiles, and those warm woolen clothes, summer-languishing in storage places, are liberated, put on, and snuggled down into....each clothing piece seems to shout "whew.....I am FREE!!! LOOK AT ME!"...

Getting out each season's wardrobe can often feel like opening gift boxes...re-discovery is sometimes as good as buying new!

"Oh, I remember that! I'd forgotten I even had that!"

Summer stuff look postiviely languid next to the stout colors of Autumn. Almost shabby.

I love New York like this. It's Crisp Big Apple time.

Tonight and tomorrow, I will spend time in the presence of Lama Surya Das, who is doing a series of lectures at Tibet House down on 15th Street. I have been reading his books, and am moved by his humane logic and language. I enjoy his particularly Western analysis of and devotion to the Dharma. And I am told his preence is remarkably compelling. So tonight I will experience it for myself. I'm excited.

The small Guest Bathroom is pretty much finished, and looks great. One or two small touches and it will be useful. Next, finally, the repair and re-doing of the Blue Guest Room....can hardly wait, We have been camping out with furniture all over the place. It may be dry enough to begin skimming and plastering next week. We are considering what colors to use there. We want them deep and soothing, and the room uncluttered and calm.

Private classes moving to Ripley-Grier next week. They are going great, and the actors are getting true results in their various auditions. This is good. A more central location will be useul to all. And the people at Ripley-Grier have been so helpful and generous, alleviating my anxiety about holding classes in a new and unfamimliar place. Though God knows, I have auditioned and rehearsed in their rooms for years! So, not all that unfamiliar. I am so proud of the good hard work that goes on in those two classes. They continue to surprise me every week.

Pretty much have decided to spend Thanksgiving in Michigan with Peter's family. We will probably drive out early, relax on the drive, take the doggies...enjoy each other's company....have fun doing it! And simply have some real time together, my beautiful husband and I. We like travel. Especially together. Then Christmas will be a New York one. Festive and full. There may even be time for us to go up to the family cabin in Northern Michigan....gorgeous!Snow, I bet!

Paul and Steve have been so helpful in getting the small bathroom done. I am grateful. Having remodelled basically the entire upstate house together, our small bathroom was a mere morsel to consider, but they really did consider it and their suggestions have been great...Steve's suggestion of Raymond, and Umberto to do the work was perfect, and these two men delighted me with what they were able to accomplish in a short period of time in there. I will use their services again soon.
We have the entire co-op to do.

And soon the clocks will fall back, and we will all be so surprised when it is so dark at 5:30 pm! It happens every year, but we are always so surprised! I do think that is the beauty of life. this ability to be surprised.

Comments:
Evalyn- Loved your description of the crisp Autumn of New York- the anticipation and renewed vigor of the city- and that warm and cuddly clothing we get to wrap ourselves in! This is a gorgeous week in Abingdon...we had dinner at the Tavern last night with our town officials and the mayor of Abingdon, England, who is here or a brief visit. What a treat to sit in our historic tavern with it's worn wooden panneling- look out of those windows with the wavy original glass panes at the colored leaves on the trees- and enjoy Max's delicious food with the good folks of Abingdon! The town was hopping since it was Sleepy Hollow Halloween night- people everywhere! Love this time of year! Ann
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?