Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Theater "families"....

...and how they are created....each and every time a group of actors comes together to work on a specific project...and it doesn't matter whether the project is a new one, an old one, a really old one,...neither does it matter where it's headed: Broadway, Off-, regional theater, someone's living rom, a college stage...wherever...WHENEVER a group of performing artists come together to create a project, an oddly terrific thing occurs: a sort of "family" is indeed created along with the project itself...and of course , the more intense the work process, the closer-knit the new family seems to be, even if it is only for the short itme of the
performance time itself...true, sometimes, sheer hatred and enmity draw a group into closeness, and though the time is tortured, the time is nonetheless alive and breathing....usually, however, it has been my experience that genuine affection and caring happen, and things are shared that are usually only shared by people who...well...okay...love each other...by the end, vows are made to stay in touch, numbers and addresses are exchanged, dates booked, future projects discussed...and every so often, some of these dates, vows and projects actually come to fruition...
but even if they are not, a relationship has indisputably been formed, and memories have been truly created that are unique to that group of people, and this counts for a lot, this sort of memory sharing, in what is usually a pretty peripatetic community ,as actors are.

A rare pleasure for both Peter and for me , during THE GOLDEN APPLE, was to get to know (for me it was to get to know better) the wonderful, inimitable Daniel Marcus, a character man in our "biz" who is so ...well..he's yummy, that's what Daniel is..."yummy!!" And gifted, gifted, gifted...smart as hell....verbal, intelligent, musical in a deep and abiding way...gorgeously-voiced and theatrically astute...a funny and odd man, with a tender heart and silly soul...with a lovely wife, a gorgeous and precocious little boy child, and all in all a fine man...dear Dan..him, along with Ann Crumb, well..I consider them two new friends...so along with the other joys of doing that strange old show in concert, here I have two additions to my life that enrich it....really, how often does that happen in any business..? I really must find a show for the 4 of us to do together: Ann, Daniel, Peter and me....hmmmm....

Well, so much else to write, no time now...i wanted to rhapsodize about Daniel tonight...and so ...to bed....g'nite all.

Comments:
Well said Evalyn! Just experiencing having to leave a family I had the honor of becoming apart of this summer has been an intenesly emotional growing point for me in my ife. Your words put a comfort in my heart. Thanks. Things in SWVA are going well, there is a sense of peace, well at least for me, a peace that has begun to prepare for the huge change at hand in my life as I finish up my final year at E&H. Miss you and Peter!
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?