Thursday, September 01, 2005

God Bless New Orleans

...and all the people who are stranded there in the horrible aftermath of Hurricane Katrina...i have never seen such devastation so close to home, though of course September 11th here in NYC had its horrors that will never be equalled...the wretchedness of that was that it was done to human beings by fellow human beings, out of sheer hatred and malice...the sad tragedy of New Orleans is that there was little to nothing that we human beings could do to guard against the sheer power of the natural world as manifested in such a hurricane...we are, finally, powerless before the elements in a way that we rarely get to experience...so , as the saying goes: if it's not one thing it's another...they get us coming and going...the powers of Fate...the Inexplicable...the Truly Powerful...what ever IT is...I cannot draw myself away from the TV screen and even stayed ont the exercise bike 20 minutes longer this morning because I wanted to keep watcing the CNN News Report from the scene of the devastation...i have never seen such misry and sadness in such a large group of Americans...but as it seems to be, the most wretched in the New Orleans are the people who are already poor, and who had no means with which to get out of the path of the storms...it's almost as if God looked at the New Orleans poor and said "Here, let ME take care of this...let ME wash it clean...and, oh, hey there you humans on Earth: PAY ATTENTION TO THESE PEOPLE!!!!!

I want to help....send money of course, but really help, but how? While working out, I kept imagining taking a family into ourhome here in the City...I kept thinking of all those huge homes out in the Hamptons, and how there would be room for at least one family in each of those houses, and certainly plenty of food, dry underwear and socks and places to sleep for these people who lost absolutlely everything...imagine not even having a pair of fresh socks to change into, or underwear, or a bra, or a clean shirt or dress....because it's ALL GONE...whoosh, wiped away and gone forever...Walmart alone could clothe and feed so many...though I see that Walmart actually is in charge of some sort of drive to help them...AND I CAN HARLDY BLAME THE PEOPLE FOR LOOTING!!!THEY ARE LOOKING FOR A WAY TO SURVIVE!!!! If i was hungry, I would steal in order to eat, if i had to, and if i saw shelves upon shelves of food in front of me for the taking...I too would become a looter...no question about it. I probably would not steal electronics, however, since there is no place to plug any of that stuff in anyway...but food? and dry clothing? you betcha! Food for my children or doggies, of course....wouldn't you?

I am off to the House this morning.....Peter will do a recording session he has been hired for by Steve Alper, and then join us upstate tomorrow...I plan a weekend of sheer meditation, chanting, and writing. And keeping an eye on the New Orleans situation. Summer is now over, and the Hurricane Katrina has put a powerful coda to it....she has showed us "what for", and without a regret, has left us to swim in our powerlessness, with 'nary a second thought...she has opened the doorway to a miserable Autumn and Winter for the folks down there, and it is possible she has also wiped out one of America's unique cities forever...I wonder when the TV miniseries will begin portraying New Orleans' misery? When the first made-for-TV movie will chas in on the tragedies of others?

We saw THE BROTHERS GRIMM last evening...very Terry Gilliam, extravagant and picturesque and detailed....and i enjoyed it finally. Loved some of the visual ideas.
Very much a summer flick...i had hoped to meeti with Frank and Eliza V. because I want to discuss my future with CAP 21 in mor detail with them, but my afternoon got eaten up by voice-over business and I never made it to 18th Street. Much I want to talk with them about.

Many meetings are coming up concerning CAP 21's growth and future...i look forward to sitting on Board Committees with Nancy T. Lois F. and Pearl B. and new Board member Susan R....powerful women all, and extremely bright and energetic.

But for this weekend (in which I will try to do a blog entry or two as well as journal write), I will put my spirit in repose and meditate on the state of the world, sending prayers and healing thoughts South to beleaguered New Orleans.

Again, bless them.

xxev

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?