Friday, August 19, 2005

Rains of Biblical proportion...

...poured on the City this morning, like fresh forgiveness for all the Summer's sins! I left for rehearsal in a genuine downpour and luxuriated in the feel of the soft water spraying onto me from under my white umbrella..it felt like a blessing. I caught the #104 and took a leisurely ride downtown, through a city that ,as ever when it rains, was tied up in a snarl of traffic knots belying its status as a grownup city....FOLKS: we should have this rain thing figured out by now!! But since i was in no particular hurry, (one of the sweet by-products of my new resolve to be a tourist in my own home city), I sat back in my rain-spattered seat and let the scenery roll by. I still made it to rehearsal for THE GOLDEN APPLE in good time.

James Bassi, an amazing pianist and musical director/writer type man, and I engaged in a couple more hours of wonderful learning of the score...it really is a great thing, this old show...and the exploration of a complex character like "Mother Hare" is heightened by the knowledge that the writers knew what they wanted when they wrote what they wrote (at least musically this is certanly true), and so it's like unwrapping a gift which has been carefully wrapped in glittery, intriguing paper.

I'll return later to put together some of the early scenes in the show with the other actors...that should also be interesting.

Paul and Steve are coming by later to pick up Sally and Cyrano so Peter and I will be free of worrying about them over the weekend that stretches ahead of us in the Hamptons. So while we have a couple of days in the country , so will our doggies!

I am amazed at the response pouring in to notice that I would be teaching a CAP 21 Alum Class, privately, in the Fall...it will be a class bursting with good talent.
So, the challenge ahead for me lies in making the three hours as efficient and useful as possible for all concerned. It can be an exciting thing, useful to all, so I want to be sure and shape it right. No wasted time. Sheer, intense, and insightful work. The people entrusting me with their time and money deserve that. And since it is the first time I have ever tried to shape a class (two actually) privately, I may make a mistake or two, but have taken enough and taught enough to know essentially what to do to make it valuable. It's actually kind of exciting to think about it.

It looks like if I want to make it down to Barter Theatre for a visit, I need to do it before Septmeber 13th, which is when the first Tuesday class begins. I really want to go for that visit. I still miss them all.I miss Barter Theatre every day I am not there. And that is simply the truth of the matter.

Just a few minutes ago, the GOLDEN APPLE stage manager called me on my cell to tell me they just lost a bari-tenor in the chorus and would Peter be available to step in as quickly as today? I told her i thought so...so she is calling Peter now...gee I hope it works out. What fun for us to do this together. I just had a feeling it would happen, for some reason. This sort of thing seems to be in our joint cards right now, for my darling husband and me....I just love him so. And this particular show will an extremely interesting one for him to work on...though we both do have to miss this entire weekend coming up so I wonder if that will make a difference. Well, we shall see.

well...well...well...hmmm...life sure is interesting.

And Pearl's Musicale looooooms ahead!

xxev

Comments:
Ev,
I'm so glad things are going well. I sure missed you while you weren't posting! I have to know, Did you receive the Film Festival? Oh, and I am now non-Barter as of last week. What are they going to do without us? Send love to Peter!

Brian
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?