Tuesday, August 16, 2005

THE GOLDEN APPLE

...an odd old thing from the 1950's, but Jonathan Tunick, (Peter's favorite Broadway musical director and arranger) clearly has a passion for it, and so in working with him on it over the next 10 days, I look forward to seeing what this show is really made of...

What am I talking about? Well, I was just asked to play the role of "Mother Hare" , this sort of prophetess of the town, in this concert reading of THE GOLDEN APPLE, and I will be doing it along with John Cullum, Howard McGillan, Daniel Marcus, Anne Crumb, Cheryl Stern, and so many others I have either worked with or been near to working with in the past...Today i picked up the score and it is huge! But at least it is computerized and neat and readable, so the learning will be easy..and Peter has the CD so I am all set to get familiar with it before I start rehearsal this Thursday, which is good, because it is long and, as I said, sort of odd. Totally sung through, no dialogue spoken, and for that alone it was a bit of a pioneering piece in its day. A retelling of the Odyssey and Iliad legends...rather operatic in scope, though Tunick did not want opera singers for this concert. Rather he wanted more Broadway actor-type voices,with a sense of acting and, presumably, comedy.

So , for a few days (and a nice fee) i will be in harness again, and working like an actress...also had two voice -over auditions today and booking one of those would be oh so swell....that area of my career has been heartening since my return home.

Meanwhile, today alone, I got three calls from CAP 21 alumnae asking to be part of the Fall class i am thinking about teaching. And the Pre-College kids from the summer program are calling for their class as well, so little by little those are shaping up as real possibilities for the remainder of 2005. Good God where has the time gone?

And Peter and I will be off to the Hamptons in a couple of days, and Saturday will see us working diligently to help make Pearl Berman's party a success, with its "production" of ANYTHING GOES...I am dying of curiosity to see how it will all be put together...Peter, as the lead "Billy" can make anything happen well in short time, and I can certainly help where I am asked to help...so all in all it should be worth a good blog entry at the very least. And a good time among friends.

And I get to see the ocean! From Pearl's terrace, I am told.

Lovely.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?