Sunday, August 28, 2005

Gehry's GOLDEN APPLE

...because we performed it today in a building briloinatly conceived and built by the architect Frank Gehry...(sp?)...I will dub today's event Gehry's GOLDEN APPLE...my simply being in that building, that soaring,steel and concrete concoction of floating burnished metal panels made to look lke floating scarves, that flotation device called a building..that paean to the impossiblility of man remaining earthbound for too long...that poem in movement and metal...well, it was a highpoint for me....the Fisher Arts Center at Bard College is astonishing. I was proud to be inside it at all, much less performing in its perfect concert hall, and i do mean perfect. THE GOLDEN APPLE concert reading we did today (and rehearsed there all day yesterday was gorgeous in that space, and as I sat in the house listening to the American Symphony playing parts of the show I was not in, it felt like I was sitting right next to the prchestra itself, rather than a hundred feet away, or farther . And pure human singing voices, unamplified and unadorned, easily filled the hall. Wow.

We had fun. And the sold out audience seemed to do that same. My "Mother Hare" was quite popular, and received warm response from the folks, including one nice unexpected splash of exit applause...i was proud of how i handled my singing voice among all those great singers, and I learned a little something more about breathing" beautiful Christa Moore, who sang "Penelope", wore a backless sort of sundress, and so when she breathed deeply during glorious songs she sang like "Windflower", i could see her back lungs fill up with air and support her strong floating high notes, and her thin dancer's body was a simple conuit for the best in human sund production. She was great! And those back muscles rippling under the sheer force of her needed breath intake...i understood something about strength from watching her. And the sounds she made! Fabulous!

There were so many fabulous people in this thing...i shall have to mention them all, because they were all so dear, and talk a bit about each of them as well, and I will do so, but we just got home , hours later than we expected, and I have an early radio audition tomorrow, si I will go to bed now and write later...olay?

xxev

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?