Saturday, June 11, 2005

Summer In The City!

I've failed to mention the latest weather....one tends to forget painful things, like childbirth I am told, and this weather lately has been painful...the sort of weather it's wise to stay inside in front of the air conditioner during...hot, hot, hot and humid, humid, too damned humid...the mornings have contained a few fresh breezes, but by late morning, it has become a moist bath of steamy hell...my favorite image: it's like walking through someone's nose! Vile and dispiriting. I do not work well in humid heat. Unless I am by a pool of water with a cold drink in my hand...it need not be alchoholic. Especially as I may pour it on myself in a moment of heated pique....you get the idea....NYC is having a terrible early summer heatwave...the city cooks and boils in it. I love my living room air conditioner. I mean, really, I love it.

En famille, we went down to the Ground Zero site yesterday, and it was an emotional experience for all. Since the very day of 9-11, neither Peter nor I have ever goone down there. So, this was our first view of even the site that the attacks occured, and I was mostly amazed at how small the site itself is...how contained. Of course, the World Trade Center was enormously tall, in fact, the two tallest points on the cityscape...so the planes zeroed specifically in on those two peaks, not even expecting the buildings to fall at all....and when they did fall, they fell, I gather, rather straight down, containing the destruction within the footprint of the Towers themselves...of course there was peripheral damage to other buildings, but the site itself seems so small,especially now that it is cleaned up and organized into recontruction plots....so...i dunno...so contained within the cage of other tall buildings...so specific...I was amazed. And I cried. I kept hearing screams in my head, and images of smoke and people flying out of buildings...it was all sunny and calm down there yesterday, but i was awash in sensory images that were quite noisy. It now seems impossible such a thing ever occurred. Life is like that.

We lunched at a swell Chinese place in 2 World Financial Center, and snooped around the Winter Garden under the indoor palm trees. I love this family I have married into. Such a game and interested family.Interested in life!

I got a call yesterday from Jeff Passero, an LA Casting Agent, who is assisting his pal Lonny Price in casting a reading of a new musical....Ruth Henshel (sp.?)dropped out for some reason and they needed me (or someone like me)right away...i have total availability next week, and so I said yes...i will receive the script from LA sometime this weekend....I love dear Lonny (we did RAGS together, went through that particular hell) and have not worked with him since...so this will be fun. I wonder if the show is good. We shall see. I hope it is worth coming out of my semi-retired state for...
And out into the heat of the city.....

The SOUTH PACIFIC at Carnegie Hall got a terrific review from the Times, even mentioning the lovely male chorus, and how great they sounded and looked in their black t-shirts! This one small event seems to have been popular with all who saw it. Peter seems glad.

Me too.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?