Monday, June 06, 2005

My 2 Cents...

...about the 2005 Tony Awards...well, at least I can continue with my acting career...Vicky Clark was dear in her acceptance speech,acknowledging her 10-year old son as her inspiration..I do wish her co-star Kelly O'Hara had won instead of the obviously fun and talented Sarah Ramirez for SPAMELOT, only because I loved Kelly in THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA so dearly ....and the art it takes to do what she did....on the other hand, who am I to say what art is? Really..Though, I am reasonably sure that Matthew Morrison's job is more subtle and more difficult than the guy's who won Best Supporting for SPELLING BEE...(I cannot remember his name)...and so I do wish Matt Morrison had been more clearly recognized...well, at least Adam Guettel's genius was rewarded, and today I will listen to his PIAZZA music all day...SPAMELOT's winning Best Musical is a blatant bone to the road producers who stand to make a deal of money off of its tour, but it is, I am told, a charming evening...and I do want to see it...but in terms of BEST? Not even in the same class as PIAZZA, and yet "art" being democratic, class has nothing to do with it, nor should it.

I had not meant to be mean when I said I would quite acting if Christina Applegate won for CHARITY... I am sure she is a delight, and so she appeared in her number last evening...but, really, now come on...where was the grit and worn-edged weariness of the sort of "Charity Hope Valentine" that was so brilliantly created by Gwen Verdon? Which is not to say Verdon was the definitive, but at least she embodied the genuine plight of a woman so down on her luck and hope, that when she finally burst forth with I'M A BRASS BAND, you wept with joy at her salvation...Christina Applegate looks as if she has never suffered a day in her life, her stage accident leg injury notwithstanding. I mean, why would "Oscar" leave such a doll? And all the Big Spender girls looked so gorgeous...so young and desirable...where was the seediness? The neediness? The tackiness...the hopelessness...? So, my sincere apologies to Ms. Applegate.

Watching the Tony Awards in our comfortable living room last night, Peter and I realized it was the first time we have seen them in NYC in so long! I was actually interested in them again...last year, I think I was upstairs reading all evening...being in Abingdon was being sooooooo far away from them...the vibe to watch and care was proportionately weaker...but last night? It was fun again.We even watched it by phone with Drew E., calling each other on the phone during commercials and commenting on peoples' fashion sense and talents...so very NYC! And fun! Drew had taken us to a most wonderful dinner earlier at MaMa Mexico's and we did drink many margueritas!! Yummy and ole!Thank you Drew...he leaves for Goodspeed next monday..I shall pick up his mail and water his plants...with love.

Peter is at SOUTH PACIFIC all day today...what fun for him. I shall be a good wife and shop and clean and prepare the place for our gathering this evening: Elyzabeth Wilder (in from L.A.), Kate Guyton and us...we will read Elyzabeth's new play out loud, the one that will be produced later in the summer at Alabama Shakespeare. But it is mainly a social evening. We have not seen EW in a long time, and catching up is essential. And so we shall.

Much to do...great day to all...xxev

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?