Saturday, June 18, 2005

A Clean Apartment....

...is one of the pure pleasures of living in NYC, because everything else around us is so dirty all the time...Steve and Paul's cleaning lady ,Letitia, has begun coming to us weekly, at least for a while, and it's amazing the difference her few hours of dusting and scrubbing, vacuuming and organizing, do for our space..it just all feels so much calmer and workable...the place seems to purr and make other contented sounds ,because someone has cared for it...Peter and I are too busy living in it...yay for Letitia....a nice woman, too.

Today at 5:00 we put together the entirety of KIKI BABY, for a small invited audience of 5 or 6 people, and the writers will get to see what the current state of the piece is. Then our work on it at this point will be done...I have enjoyed it.Peter ordered me the old novel, SING,BRAT,SING, upon which it is based , from an antique book store somewhere, and I look forward to reading it, mainly because its premise has stimulated these several artists with whom I am working and I respect their talents, so there must be an interesting fire where this particular smoke is.Thus, I will read ... also I am very curious to see what the character I am playing is like in the novel, since she is pivotal to the little girl's action in the story, yet composed of mere brushstrokes in the musical....i am now curious to know more about "Marina".

And tomorrow, I WILL SLEEP....! I want a day in bed, with the TIMES and my husband...we shall meet tomorrow night with Kate Guyton about the "company" idea Peter and she have been formulating, but it will be a leisurely business meeting over supper. There is always space down at CAP 21 for creative work, so since Kate and I are teaching there this summer, why not use some of that space to create a new company of ideas and exploration? New scripts,new music,etc...CIE...a possible name for our little venture? Isn't that French or something? CIE?

One of the traits of a Vladimir Nabakov novel, as I recall learning in college, is that characters introduced early on will often show up again, even if just to pass by in the streets of a certain scene,many chapters later in the novel...more likely, they will turn up again to play some sort of pivotal role in the story's development, but that return of the character may be small, momentary or fleeting...so like life, in which the fabric of our lives is composed of the strands of countless acquaintances, close friends,small introductions, mere noticings of a certain someone in passing....the fabric of our lives is composed of familiar threads, some obvious, some others subtle, some hardly noticed at all...that is how i felt when I happened to run into Polly Penn and Susan Blommert on the bus the other day...it fascinates me how and why we cross paths with others when we do.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?