Saturday, June 04, 2005

Charles Busch and the movies...

....are two words I would not have anticipated writing in the same sentence anytime soon, but, as art and career would have it, here I am typing them...becuase i did have the most wonderful time in an audition rom with Charles Busch yesterday, trying on the role of "Betty" in the movie he wrote called A VERY IMPORTANT PERSON, casting by Carol Hanzel, who it was also good to see again after these years away. I had such a terrific time in the room, and could so easily play that role of the housekeeper, if I am in the way of the physical type he wants...that being said, since it was clear he and his coleagues enjoyed me very much, and my take on the role as well, having had such a good collaborative time in the audition was quite enough for me to feel better that I have felt about my work in a while...I am also cognizant that it takes so little to really make me feel creative again, and it does not necessarily come in the form of an actual job offer...all it takes is some sort of creative engagement in something I admire, even if only for a short time...like that hourlong audition process....even reading the script in prep for it made me feel good, because the script is good...and working even for a short time with a man like Charles B.

I went up on the elevator with the yummy Roberta Maxwell (who I have known since my days as a journeyman at The Guthrie Theater), and we had fun catching up on life and chatting away...in the waiting room were two more devine character actressess: Mary Stout and Joyce Rheeling, and I have seen neither of them in years, so that was really fun...we talked and talked, and I decided we need to put together an evening about middle-aged character women....Ed D. could write an opening song called "Character", as only he could write it, and off we would go! What an engaging evening in the theater that could be....even if just told the stories of the 4 of us who were sitting in that room yesterday....and I might add: any of these women could play the role of "Betty" wonderfully....I woul dbe swell, but then so would they be...so with this point of view on the work, where is my real passion in relationship to it? I do not have the needs I used to have to get that job....or any acting job...I have other things I want to do...this remains a true thing, ever since my return from Barter.

Have been hearing from Perry Morgan (Barter Musical Director who is currently earning his MFA at Naropa University), and i do miss his adorable silliness..also hearing from his talented wife Jo Hall, who works no matter where she is...a British actress of range and depth...I do hope our paths cross again soon with those two...and more thatn almost anything, I envy Perry's time at Naropa, a Buddhist University....how amazing that must be.

Tony Awards Sunday night....all the usual suspects...SPAMELOT will win, no matter how brilliant THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, and if Christina Applegate beats Vicky Clark I will officially quite show business...that being said, I am sure Applegate is swell in SWEET CHARITY and adorable....and I wish her the best....but Victoria CLark is miraculous in THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA....yes,miraculous...a rare and what I would call an "inhabited" performance...this character she plays comes home to roost inside her, and we see the world and hear the music through her eyes and ears...I rarely experience that in the theater, so when i do I am grateful ...BRAVO to them all...awards are silly...apples and oranges...and as a publicity gimmick? Well, why not? Broadway is so ridiculously expensive to produce, let them get business any way they can, short of something illegal, and whereas the Tony's are often boring, that has yet to be deemed against the law.

We spend this weekend in the City. Yay.

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?