Thursday, June 09, 2005

Almost Heaven, South Pacific....

..and one of the most wonderful casts of people who could possibly perform this lovely musical in this day and age: the charming and natural Reba MacEntire as "Nellie"....so perfectly simple and true...an "Emil" performed by Brian Stokes Mitchell so wonderfully, that I cannot imagine a better portrayal anywhere at any time....his voice was astonishingly full and lush in the famous Hall, and he acted the role with such sweetness and genuine sorrow, that the tragedy of the man filled the entire full rendition of THIS NEARLY WAS MINE so brilliantly that the audience stood at the end...."stopped the show" took on a whole new meaning...he stopped the show while moving the story ahead better than I ever thought possible for this particular script...it was a great moment...OH! SORRY!

I am gushing on and on about the dress rehearsal I saw this morning of SOUTH PACIFIC at Carnegie Hall that Peter is in...tonight's audience will have paid hundreds and hundreds of dollars for the privilege of sitting and experiencing what we did this morning, and I am most grateful for the chance to have seen it for the price of a free ticket....GREAT PERFORMANCES is filming it for airing in 2006, so they shot this morning's full-house rehearsal, and will shoot the performance tonight as well.They are in for quite a special thing.

I have much to say about what I saw today...not the least of which has to do with how wonderful Peter looked up there, gorgeous in his black tux and black tank tee shirt underneath...very sexy...but more to the point, his presence and the acting he managed to fill the chorus moments with made me realize the difference between what is commonly referred to as "schmacting" and the real thing....he is such a true talent. Even in a chorus of 40 men, he is genuinely unique. I was proud. He looked and was terrific....anyway....more on all this later...especially about the book and the original orchestrations that were realized by the most wonderful orchestra...wow! A real gifted string section, and a truly fine full orchestral sound...I had forgotten what that is like, and I ashamed to say...well.there is much to say and I will say it in the next blog entry...for now....time to be with the Yonkas, all of whom came and were able to see the dress rehearsal this morning too....talk about happiness....pure unadulterated joy....I am so glad they came to see it, and could get in!!!!

So now, I must go be with family...more tomorrow,...xxev

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?