Thursday, May 26, 2005

A word or two about Esther Flores...

...in New York Town...a day cool to the skin and fresh to the breath..rather a depressing color, but moist and good for the pores...I went down to Bernie Telsey's office to pick up the script for THE DROWSY CHAPERONE, the new musical I am auditioning for next week...I read it in 20 minutes, it is so so light, and very silly, but it brought a smile or two to my mind...I have yet to hear the music, but I imagine it is clever and also fun, in a light-hearted sort of way...these are the sorts of roles I have done so much in my career, that I cannot get very excited about auditioning for yet another one of the same sort, but I will anyway, and I will do my scintillating best...and if asked to read, i think that will be fun. The movie script I was emailed, with the pages for me to audition for in June is more interesting to me, as the story is sweet and the character i am being seen for is not....that audition will be fun to work on...and so it goes.

Because our 890 West End home is far uptown, away from the madding crush of Midtown and therefore relatively quiet and peaceful because it is near the River, I am still at the stage of NYC -return where I am surprised by the entire change of energy when I have to dive into midtown to pick up a script. This City is really very very crowded. And the crowds run everywhere.

Now that word or two:

I had a reading with Esther Flores, the 81st Street psychic a few evenings ago, and all in all , it was an actual adventure. She sits in her little cubby hole at her Botanica St.Michael, and this is a space unlike any I've every been in before, filled, stuffed and stuffed some more with religious artifacts of all faiths and creeds, persuasions and levels of mysticism, bottles and bottles of brightly colored oils and waters, labelled descriptively and exotically, each label telling what the oil or water is for...and candles, candles and more candles, mostly the kind that fill those tall heavy glass jars, also labelled for purpose and decorated with crude but stimulating art work, also specific for each candle's purpose, and I browsed the shelves like I was in a library....much dust everywhere,thick and old dust, somehow suitable for the many saints' statues adorning the shelves, and so much incense of different sizes, shapes and consistencies, that I can honestly say i have never seen or even known such incense existed...a lot of it looked really really old too..
My appointment was for 8:30 pm, but as is Esther's style, i was finally seen at 10:00 pm...she takes care of her regulars first, and spends ample time with each and every one. I almost came home and rescheduled but "something" told me I should stay and so i did. The only light in the place was an old, harsh flourescent, hanging overhead.Stark and cold. But the place itself was so small and humid, it was like sitting in a bad basement in a nightmare. Amazing that I stayed. But I did.

And to tell of the session itself will take another blog entry, there was so much. SO much in the way of information, predictions, sensory input, impressions, thoughts and opinions (was it a waste or was it not waste?), it will take more thought before I can write about it...I have gone to psychics all my adult life...the first back in Connecticut, when Paul and I were at Hartford Stage Company and the Greenwich Spiritualist Church was a big deal to go and visit..I had a couple of readings there...then later in LA...and a couple here in the Village...it has been at least a decade since I have gone to one...and so when Ed D. suggested Esther the other evening, I bit, and got her number...and so there I was...dank, flourescently lit,and intrigued ,in a sort of cheesy way, on 81st Street at 10:00 at night! Life does have its adventures.

Word from Rick R: SINGIN IN THE RAIN at Barter is a bonafide hit and tickets sell well....and the show is terrific too. I am happy for that. Though it did make me miss Barter a bit twingingly ( my own word)...I got a pain of sadness...will i ever not miss it? And yet THE LIGHT in the PIAZZA? That would not have happened there. And clearly the things I am to learn now, I am to learn here. So be it. OR as my Momma used to say: Let it be. Indeed. Let it...I have such a hard time doing that sometimes.

Comments:
Hey Evalyn!
I'll be in NYC in two weeks! June 14, 16 and 17! We HAVE to meet somewhere this time, hopefully it will work out. I hope your auditions go well, and I am excited for Peter to be doing the Carnegie Hall beneifit. How thrilling. By-th-way, you guys were in the Esprit for Barter down here. I saw Singing in the Rain and I must say that the set was ver good, which is always essential for a hit down here. I felt that the resident Barter actors did a wonderful job, they always do. But I don't like old fluff, so therefore the script bothered me in times. And anyone whos seen Singing in the Rain, either the movie or stage version, knows that the songs are stuck in there haphazzardly with no rhyme or reason. I don't classify it as a musical. It's more like an old vaudevillian show that was just made to highlight the stars stuck in the lead roles. But however, Barter does a wonderful job with it. Very ingeneous set. For the hinderances they have to deal with, they overcome so much to create wicked effects! I do believe Barter has the best design teams of anywhere in the country, at least at any theatre I've ever visited. They rival Broadway.
Well, I hope you guys are doing well, and I wish you the best. I graduate tonight and practice is in a few hours. Finally out of this hell. So, tell Peter that I said "break a leg!" and I hope to see you all soon!

-Chase
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?