Monday, May 09, 2005

Scary Nation day....

We walked into the 3:30 rehearsal for SCARY NATION down at NYU Tisch School yesterday, ready to put it on its feet in front of music stands, in prep for the 7:00 "performance" and both the director and writer took Peter aside and asked him if he would mind switching roles with the lead guy, so that he (Peter) would read the lead ("Chris") and Brian would read the role Peter had been looking at ("Taylor"). Of course Peter said yes...we had been talking about how Peter was more appropriate for that role anyway, and Brian seemed fine with it (despite the fact that he had already done some substantial work on it at home), and the reading rehearsal went forth with Peter playing "Chris". I was really proud of the way he threw himself into the job at hand, and the actual reading itself was very warmly received. Lots of good solid laughs, and the chilling point about the Christian Right was made very nicely, thank you! My "Carry Nation" was a fearsome thing to behold, but somehow sadly comical as well...the audience loved and hated her. And I had a swell time reading the role. So we did good, and fulfilled a promise to our friend Janice.

The thing I was most impressed by was the ease with which Peter and i approach the work. Barter so fine-tuned us to the sheer exercise of it, that we are truly at ease with the process of putting it all together, no matter if it is a reading or an audition, or whatever. I watched Peter function as a true pro yesterday, and there is a sort of confidence there that only comes with experience. An ease. A trust.

Now....if only some auditions would happen! I feel shamefully happy on what is beginning to feel like an extended (okay...well-earned) vacation...but Peter is not as content as I am...and, truth be told, wouldn't I just love to land a film or a tv show? Something that would give me my weekends free? I know, I know...I sound like a tired old thing...but, well...and I am sure that if the right role came and it required yet another stint of 8-shows a week,well....I guess I could rouse myself to the challlenge...all kidding aside, I am enjoying this time. More than i ever thought I could....but when that bell rings...you know what they say about old race horses...actually, what do they say about old race horses? And Peter, not being quite as old a horse as I am, really does need to run! So, I will chant for that to happen soon for him. And for me....that nice tv show....

Carnegie Hall has been calling for Peter to give them all sorts of vital info,he has signed his contracts, but it appears that the June 9th Benefit Concert is all sold out, so we are a bit worried about getting tix for Peter's family...I will probably watch a dress rehearsal the morning of...and June 9th is just a month away! I seem to see Reba M. everywhere lately. She will be a swell "Nellie Forbush". And Brian Stokes Mitchell, an intriguing "Emil"...

My darling Peter. He was so good in that reading yesterday. Me makes me feel so proud.

Comments:
Evalyn!
The show is going O.K. A crowd of around 20 or so last night, hopefully slightly larger tonight. John Hardy watched our performance last night. He seemed to have enjoyed it. I hope it wan't "charity praise" though. I doubt it was because he's not the type of person to do that. He's usually straight forward about things like that.
And OMG! About Tony noms, I'm sooo excited. Spamalot took the lead at 14! And Scoundrels tied with Light in the Piazza at 11. Can't wait to see Spamalot and Scoundrels this summer! SOOO EXCITING! Pillowman did sufficiently well too at 6. I am anxious to see who wins. I kno wyou're rooting for Light in the Piazza, but I'm pushing for scoundrels and spamalot, solely because I'm seeing them this summer. So, in any case, it should be fun to watch. Well, I've got to run and get some stuff done before tonight. Wish you were here!
-Chase
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?