Friday, March 18, 2005

News From The Front

Emory and Henry student Melvin Dillon will be here in a couple of days (we are hoping to meet his plane at La Guardia and shepherd him gently to his cozy blue room here at 890 West End) and I wonder what he will experience in his first visit to this large and lively City...we will arm him with a good City map and a $20.00 Metro Card and let him loose...supply him with a theater ticket or two, and let him fend for himself as much as possible..I shall make sure the fridge is stocked with good food and prepare him a good breakfast every morning...I envy him for what he has in store.

Meanwhile,Peter has a callback for MISS SAIGON at Maine State today...this is all good news, as his few auditions so far have yielded callbacks and job offers..more will come, but in the meantime, this is all good for him to slog through as he re-builds his audition book and necessary techniques....all good!

Meeting with playwright Tony DiMuro yesterday, where Frank and Eliza V. and I talked to him about how we hope he continues to develop BERGIN PINES...a lively discussion of next steps...much fertile stuff..Tony is a smart and willing writer, whose image of the world lies hidden somewhere in the several good plays he has written..I pointed out that this one, this one-person play, is a swell chance for him to sharpen that vision, as he can literally structure it in any way his artistry dictates..he loved that i put the MO (Mental Observer) onstage with "Linda"..opened all sorts of new ways to go with the piece....today we meet with Mattie Selman, book writer of GODDESS WHEEL...he sent us a new, better shaped version of the script yesterday...i am glad to see the changes he has already made...lots of which I was going to suggest at today's meeting.

I have been asked to teach two classes at CAP 21 this summer: one Musical Scene Study class in the Professional Program and another Vocal Performance class in the NYU pre-College Program....all of a sudden the thought of being with groups of youngsters and letting them remind me of the passion of it all ...well, it appeals to me...and maybe I can be of some use to them. A gentle way to be in the City in the Summer is to teach in that Summer Program..I have always enjoyed it...so maybe I will say yes....It will give me tha chance to be near to the Company, to help shape its Fall and Winter ideas for Studio One, as we turn it more towards being a small theater facility...there are a couple of playwrights I would like to introduce into that space..and as the Company re-structures, being there to teach will give me a perspective I may need.

I wonder how Barter does this year? In terms of ticket sales...I have been a bit out of touch with Abingdon, as we get more settled here..and also, they don't need me breathing over their collective shoulders from up here in NYC...i am , however, daily,thinking of it and hoping that throngs are attending the BEST THEATRE IN THE COUNTRY!!!!! I miss it. But my shoulder is well to the wheel of what needs to be done here, so I steel my resolve everyday not to miss it too much!

Life is filled with adventure! Each day...as my dear Momma used to say in Yiddish: Boruch a' ta shem yem yem...or something lihe that: Blessed be each day by day!

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?