Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Further Inspiration...

...when I think like a writer (at least my interpretation of what a writer thinks like), I look around me at the world that swirls furiously in the shape of New York City, and I realize every single thing I see and experience is grist for the mill of creativity...any subject is the right subject...a story can be woven out of anything, anyone, any sound, smell or place...and my restless soul, the part of me that wonders what it is I am supposed to be doing in the world when I am not performing on a stage or directing others to do so, my restless soul knows what to do....write about it. Despite the fact that no one may ever read what I write, I will write anyway. It's been this way since my first journal entry after college, when I sat alone in my Momma's Atlanta apartment and wondered on paper what i was supposed to do next with my life. If I were to divide my life into parts, or chapters, or perhaps episodes, there has always been a space between each one in which i wondered what would come next. And the space in between always looks endless but, of course, never is...and by now I would hope I have the good sense to truly value the spaces, when rest and genuine inspiration have room to occur. But, the old "monkey mind" (is that Natalie Goldberg's?) is a die-hard...it will chatter bothersomely....Had an interesting afternoon at CAP 21 yesterday: read the script for and listened to the CD of GODDESS WHEEL, a new treatment of LYSISTRATA, with music by Galt McDermott (HAIR) and book and lyrics by Mattie Selman... really full of possibility, and charmingly reminiscent of the style of HAIR...but altogether different too...how to even approach it? Frank V. is directing a reading of it for BW Monday Night Series, and has begun simply chatting with me about it...just to collaborate and chat...I love the title: GODDESS WHEEL...good words together....and there is some charming and delicious music already written...probably too much, in fact....and of course the story of Lysistrata is timeless and always important..now, what "take" should this particular one be? I admire it. Now what to do with it?We also had an Executive Committee meeting last night and began talking about re-structuring the company...a committee was formed...i love committees....and I am on it. So, more meetings to come....at least I know that much about the future....

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?