Tuesday, March 15, 2005

The Chelsea Studio Scene

On our return to NYC, I've been in touch with many of our old pals to let them know we are back and ready to work, and out of that series of contacts, dear Chuck Abbott, for whom I did HOTEL SUITE at the Walnut Street Theatre in Philly several years ago emailed me and let me know he was interested in hearing Peter sing...I had also mentioned in passing that I would be interested in reading for "Vera Charles" in his MAME later in the sumer at Maine State Music Theater...he told me he would love that, even though he had already two other actresses he was seriously considering well before I threw my hat in the ring...after a few e-mails, he asked that Peter and I come in to see them all at Chelsea Studios....our auditions were yesterday in the late afternoon...and we arrived early, because that is always a good idea. Chelsea Studios, down on West 26th Street, is a favorite audition spot, always a hive of activity, and yesterday was no exception! By simply sitting there waiting for our appointments, we ran into and talked with several old pals: SuEllen Estey (also audtioning for "Vera"), Rachel York (with whom I did Les Mis for a while), who was there auditioning for PAJAMA GAME with Harry Connick Jr.(who was also there!!), Wayne Scherzer (also an old Les Miz pal) who was there to do a sit-down reading of a new musical based on something...he said it was great!), Stuart Howard, Casting Director, who I have not seen in years, and so many others...a busy place, and full of friends!It was actually a pretty relaxing way to prep for the upcoming auditions...we relaxed and socialized...My time in the Maine State room was first, and once again I did TO KEEP MY LOVE ALIVE , my old standby, a song that has booked me many a job...the Maine State table was filled with familiar faces, Chuck Abbott sitting in the midst of them...and my try-out was great...the song worked, they laughed, were delighted,etc. gave me sides to read...then Peter went in...I was far more nervous for him than I was for me...and he knocked them out!!!! He sounded fabulous (at least through the door) and when asked to sing another bit of a song, he did, with an adjustment or two, and when I went back in to read the scene (which also went very well) Chuck told me how impressed he was with Peter...the room was full of compliments for him...and i think Peter actually had a good time, which is a large step forward for him....all actors hate to audition, and the best we can do is try to have fun in the process....people lost no time in telling him how great his audition was...so we both walked away feeling pretty good about the work we did in that room. What comes next? Who knows? But we did our job. Now...next!!! If it is meant to be, maybe we will spend some time in gorgeous Maine this summer...if not, something else...and so we proceed with the actors life...sharing it with Peter is both an adventure and a pleasure... and, as uncomfortable as it can be, I learn something new everyday, about him, about myself, about the business we are in, about our love for each other. This is definitely a part of my life's journey I had not expected , and for the journey of it all, I am grateful. Yesterday, sharing with so many about the Barter experiences, it felt great to be back in the NYC "scene".

Comments:

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?