Monday, March 14, 2005

Actors Choice

Wow. Reading over yesterday's blog entry, I realize how much I do miss being at Barter. I wonder how long this missing will go on? It hurts my heart not to be there. But it also feels right to be here. Ah...life!! In any event, here we are. And things are fine. Another sparkly day, yet really cold...a diamond day, I call it: clear and hard. A clean cold. And much to do in it. Peter did get offered the role of "Aramis" in that new treatment of THE MUSKETEERS, and now the question becomes: should he take it? The dilemma of the New York actor, at least one intent on building a career here, is much like the dilemma of the LA actor: it is not necessarily good to take everything that is offered! Why? For a variety of reasons: will it be worth the time spent on it? does it showcase the actor in a way that will be useful later? is the role interesting enough to make the actor happy? is the project "sexy" enough to attract attention? are the more important things the actor should be doing instead of what has been offered him? All these things figure in the discussion he will have with his agent. Actors are so desirous of work that it is often difficult to say "no" when someone wants you. But, as someone wise once told me, as much "no" as "yes" has to be said in a career. It is different at Barter (another point in its favor) where all the Company Members play all sorts of roles, no matter what the show, because that is part of the ethic of being a Company Member. Even if you do not particularly like a show or a role, the real deal is to be part of the Company and serve your fellow actor as much as you serve the audience. There will always be another role in the next show that will satisfy you. But here in NYC, an actor builds his or her own single career based on his or her single needs. There is very little larger cause being served, unless, of course, you care about the art you involve yourself in....mostly, though, even if it is bad,if it is popular and seen by many, then you probably should do it anyway! Well, Peter is batting 1000! One audition so far, resulting in one job offer! Yay! There are a series of on-camera classes he wants to take, however, giving him the experience of working in front of and seeing himself on camera, on screen, led by several NYC casting directors...he auditioned for that and got placed in the advanced level of classes. Those may actually be more important to him than accepting the role he was offered yesterday. It is his call. All I can do is love him, support his choices and continue to tell him how wonderful he is....which is easy to do, because he is. I admire his journey. The actor's journey. An honorable one. I must get my 2004 tax prep done!!!!! Then maybe I can go to Abingdon for a visit!

Comments:
Evalyn,
Always remember: Barter and Abingdon miss you too! Hope you're having a blast in NYC, it sure sounds as though you are.
If Peter accepts that role, you will have to let me know of the dates so that I may see the show possibly this summer! That would be very exciting! I'll be up in NYC in about two weeks with the AHS Chorus group. A rushed, poorly planned trip if you ask me, but it is in NYC so I had to go! The one I planned for June will be much more to my satisfaction. I can't wait until then, it's in my bones to be in the city even if it's just for a few days! By-the-way, I should find out of my acceptance or rejection to Fordham within the next three days or so! I do hope that I am accepted there. It's such a toss up! AHHH! We'll see!
~chase
 
Pablospeak...
just read your recent blog entries for the first time...it is an engaging look into your daily perspective on the search...hope to engage with you in more of your musings as i get more time...
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?