Tuesday, February 22, 2005

...MORE THAN A DUTY TO SPEAK ONE'S MIND..

...IT BECOMES A PLEASURE!!...and so did Oscar Wilde have his delicious "Gwendolyn" opine, in the incomparable ....EARNEST..but I find the words come to mind as I sit down again to blog my thoughts out onto the blank screen ...several people over the past few days have commented with some surprise that they are amazed at how much I write and how often...and of course the thing that amazes me is how many people have found and are reading my online thoughts...it makes me feel so much less lonely to realize that people yearn to connect in this way...that the magical qualities of the Internet extend to the simple understanding that people are looking for each other....what is it we are seeking? Ourselves, in the other. Ever since my Momma gave me my first blank book (what was I ? 13?), and I realized that its pages would listen to me as no person could, I have understood that to write is to be less lonely. Less alone with the things that go bump in the night. The "what-next?" of it all. The "oh-yeah-me-too!" of it ...In any event, the result of that early realization is hundreds of hand-written journal volumes, stuffed in to the drawers of the piece of furniture I had made for them...and though this new online exploration seems to take all my writing energy in a day, I have many empty paper pages waiting to be filled...friends know to give me journals for gifts, because I will inevitably fill them. Who will buy? More to the point: who will edit? After I am gone. Lots of theater history in them...American theater history...lots of lightbulbs going off in the head of a 20th Century "girl becoming woman"...BUT this blog thing, this immediate "Hello right back at ya...I am reading you loud and clear" thing is particularly gratifying...and I again thank all who comment...I even thank those who don't , and who simply read...I saw that Hunter Thompson lately shot himself to death...why do these hip, brilliant, observant, thrilling men (so many come to mind) end their own lives? Surely, somewhere along the line, they see the good of it all, the spirit we are meant to nurture, not destroy...it bewilders me. Even to the end, we are meant to experience and seek to understand it. Giving up is the only "sin". Or as they say "You gotta be in it to win it.."...and , yes, life IS a lottery! More soon.

Comments:
I'm just back home from my first day as an official jury member in a criminal trial in US District Court, Houston Division - read more in my next blog.

Meantime, a couple of comments.

RE Hunter Thompson: I know why brilliant people suicide, Evalyn...and I was instantly reminded of George Sanders, that great talent. In 1937, Sanders told David Niven he intended to commit suicide when he got older. Thirty-five years later, in 1972 he fulfilled his promise, leaving this note: "Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck." An important lesson there.

RE diarists, commonplace book-jotters, and bloggers: I think the reasons vary considerably. While I'd like to think that my workbooks will have value to someone when I'm gone, I don't really believe they'll long survive my death. Too much baggage - and mine purely work-related. The trick may be to turn these things into viable publications...real books, magazine articles, etc. Perhaps that's a true objective.

Time to go. Love, Brother Richard.
 
Evalyn-
I LOVE reading yuor blog! Just reading about the daily life of another you know but can't see is satisfying, especially when they're a good writer. You have a very interesting life, something always new, someting fresh. I guess I hope to be trodding in your paths someday and that's why I read. Blogs are also like a permenant IM, just more in depth and embellished. Very theraputic too, I beleive from writing my own blog (which I've shunned lately due to the craziness of life at the moment!)
But anyway, hope life is well for you and Peter in NYC! I'll be there soon, hopefully!
-Chase
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Dearest Evalyn!
Isn't it wonderful to create! I must say that since starting my blog, I feel a huge relief. It is quite wonderful to have an outlet that you can share with others...close friends or total strangers! I realize that I'm not a great writer, but I really feel like I am expressing myself in a different way than before. You blog takes top billing has made it to the top of my favorites list. Thanks for you wonderful commentary on life...It keeps me sane. Love From Abingdon!!!! Brian
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?